The Student Room Group

Physics or Chemistry with Computer Science for A-Levels?

Poll

Would you rather study a subject you like or get the university you want?

I'm going to enter sixth form for an A-level honours pathway my choices are:
- Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry
or:
- Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths, Physics

I would like to get into Cambridge when applying for university and they say they prefer physics, however I find Chemistry more interesting and easier (even though Physics is not far off in difficulty). Any advice?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by AJSM
I'm going to enter sixth form for an A-level honours pathway my choices are:
- Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry
or:
- Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths, Physics

I would like to get into Cambridge when applying for university and they say they prefer physics, however I find Chemistry more interesting and easier (even though Physics is not far off in difficulty). Any advice?

It depends on how important it is for you to get in to Cambridge. Would you rather study chemistry and risk going to a different university or are you happy with physics? It is worth noting there's no guarantee you'll get in to Cambridge even with good grades.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by spectrum84
It depends on how important it is for you to get in to Cambridge. Would you rather study chemistry and risk going to a different university or are you happy with physics? It is worth noting there's no guarantee you'll get in to Cambridge even with good grades.

Good luck :smile:

I was thinking the same about the chance of getting into Cambridge. I might set a poll. Thanks.
Reply 3
After my taster sessions, I have concluded that Chemistry is both easier and more interesting than Physics, so I will choose Chemistry. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest