The Student Room Group

Dropping Further Maths

I currently do 4 alevels - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science and I am in a dillema on whether or not i should from FM.
So my plan originally was to study cs at a top university ( like cambridge or imperial ) and so i took further maths because at the beginning of year that was what i wanted to do. Now i am going into year 13 and i realised that i don't really want to go to a top university like cambridge or imperial any more and am leaning more towards the degree apprentiship route.
My mocks at the end of year 12 did not go great at all and now i need to work extra hard for the first few months of the school year to increase the predicted grades i got from them and i think dropping further maths would really help.
But at the same time i don't really want to, i do enjoy further maths and am not finding it that difficult, I am also worried that i will regret dropping it as maybe it would help when it comes to applying for universities (I am still thinking of applying to russel groups unis).
My parents also do not want me to drop it and a lot of people at school that i talked to about this have said i should really just go on with it as i have come this far and at this point i should just carry on with it.
So yeah, i don't really know what to do.
Original post by pinguu123
I currently do 4 alevels - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science and I am in a dillema on whether or not i should from FM.
So my plan originally was to study cs at a top university ( like cambridge or imperial ) and so i took further maths because at the beginning of year that was what i wanted to do. Now i am going into year 13 and i realised that i don't really want to go to a top university like cambridge or imperial any more and am leaning more towards the degree apprentiship route.
My mocks at the end of year 12 did not go great at all and now i need to work extra hard for the first few months of the school year to increase the predicted grades i got from them and i think dropping further maths would really help.
But at the same time i don't really want to, i do enjoy further maths and am not finding it that difficult, I am also worried that i will regret dropping it as maybe it would help when it comes to applying for universities (I am still thinking of applying to russel groups unis).
My parents also do not want me to drop it and a lot of people at school that i talked to about this have said i should really just go on with it as i have come this far and at this point i should just carry on with it.
So yeah, i don't really know what to do.

If you didn’t do too well in mocks, I would definitely recommend you drop a subject as it’s only going to get harder from hereon and since most unis only expect 3 A levels, it’s not worth spreading your time across 4 unless you really are sure you can get high grades in all of them.

If you enjoy Further Maths and you intend on pursuing Computer Science, why don’t you drop one of your other subjects? In my experience, most Maths/ Computing degrees will value a Further Maths A level more than a Chemistry A level and even a Computer Science A level.
Reply 2
Original post by GreenStar7
If you didn’t do too well in mocks, I would definitely recommend you drop a subject as it’s only going to get harder from hereon and since most unis only expect 3 A levels, it’s not worth spreading your time across 4 unless you really are sure you can get high grades in all of them.

If you enjoy Further Maths and you intend on pursuing Computer Science, why don’t you drop one of your other subjects? In my experience, most Maths/ Computing degrees will value a Further Maths A level more than a Chemistry A level and even a Computer Science A level.

Thanks for the advice! I would drop chemistry but my sixth form doesn't let you do further maths as a third subject unless you are a 100 percent sure you want to do maths or any subject where maths is a big part of it.

Quick Reply

Latest