The Student Room Group

Need help choosing subjects (A levels)

I've completed year 12 and I am now in year 13 and I'm currently doing 4 subjects (Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Chemistry) but I'm not sure if I should drop one of my subjects (Chemistry) as I would like to do Computer Science at uni but I'm not sure if I should do 4 a levels or not as I am currently the only person in my year apparently doing 4 a levels whilst the rest of my year are doing 3 subjects. So is it worth dropping chem or should i keep it and carry on with 4 a levels as idk if i need chem for uni. (in yr12 i have gotten all A* for my mocks and A in AS Further)
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by wdawdaw
I've completed year 12 and I am now in year 13 and I'm currently doing 4 subjects (Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Chemistry) but I'm not sure if I should drop one of my subjects (Chemistry) as I would like to do Computer Science at uni but I'm not sure if I should do 4 a levels or not as I am currently the only person in my year apparently doing 4 a levels whilst the rest of my year are doing 3 subjects. So is it worth dropping chem or should i keep it and carry on with 4 a levels as idk if i need chem for uni. (in yr12 i have gotten all A* for my mocks and A in AS Further)

Realistically, universities usually only want 3 A-Levels so if you drop chemistry, it won't impact your choices in which universities you can choose.

You might want to check with the universities you want to apply to, so you can see what subjects they require and if they lower any of the grade requirements if you do 4 A-Levels (given that some universities do that).
Original post by wdawdaw

Unis only require 3 subjects, so you could get away with dropping chemistry if you wanted to.
If you are doing well in all 4 subjects (which judging by your mocks you are) and are finding the workload ok , then you could carry on with all 4.
Double check the course you want to do at uni and see what subjects they require. If chemistry isnt required, then its up to you if you drop it or not.

Quick Reply

Latest