The Student Room Group

a levels needed for mechanical engineering?

Hi I’m currently in year 11. I have applied for maths physics and computer science. My initial plan was to go into CS but now it’s oversaturated. I know maths and physics will be a good combo for engineering but I’m not sure about computer science. Will these A levels let me get into a good Russel group uni preferably in London. I want to do mechanical engineering. Im considering changing CS to economics but i dont know if thats good enough or should i change it to chemistry? The thing is i dont really want to do chemistry and the computer science department in our school is not good.
Reply 1
Hi, I had similar dilemma as you did. If your good in essays then you should change computer science to economics. Although economics is really content heavy as well as writing heavy. However if you are more on the numerical skills side, you can do further maths instead. I'm currently doing maths, further maths and physics but used to do economics instead of FM and also the same path as you are (mech eng). Also, do some research on the unis you're planning to apply and check any requirements they would want for your 3rd subject
Reply 2
Original post by Abaxta
Hi, I had similar dilemma as you did. If your good in essays then you should change computer science to economics. Although economics is really content heavy as well as writing heavy. However if you are more on the numerical skills side, you can do further maths instead. I'm currently doing maths, further maths and physics but used to do economics instead of FM and also the same path as you are (mech eng). Also, do some research on the unis you're planning to apply and check any requirements they would want for your 3rd subject

Just pick the subject you'll do best at, it usually doesn't matter what 3rd subject you'll pick but it's very dependent on the university.
Original post by Abaxta

So do you think economics is a suitable subject for mechanical engineering? Paired with maths and physics. Also I forgot to mention I applied for further maths AS
Reply 4
Original post by alistudysforfun

So do you think economics is a suitable subject for mechanical engineering? Paired with maths and physics. Also I forgot to mention I applied for further maths AS

I think the skills you learn in computer science is more helpful in general but it doesn't really matter in relation on getting in to the course. But if you really wanna do economics then you should go for it. You should aim to get a better grade for your 3rd A level alongside Maths and Physics, and based on what you said about your CS department, you should settle for Economics instead.

Also, I don't think universities will consider the AS Further Maths so you don't really have to do AS at all. Although if you're learning just to be ahead, that's really good as well.
Original post by alistudysforfun
Hi I’m currently in year 11. I have applied for maths physics and computer science. My initial plan was to go into CS but now it’s oversaturated. I know maths and physics will be a good combo for engineering but I’m not sure about computer science. Will these A levels let me get into a good Russel group uni preferably in London. I want to do mechanical engineering. Im considering changing CS to economics but i dont know if thats good enough or should i change it to chemistry? The thing is i dont really want to do chemistry and the computer science department in our school is not good.

Hi @alistudysforfun

Mechanical engineering is a great choice of subject! (I might be biased because I do engineering!)
Each university has its own entry requirements for mechanical engineering, some require further maths or particular sciences at A level, so I would recommend looking at the entry requirements for the universities that you are considering. The combination of A levels needed may also change depending if you are applying to BEng or MEng Additionally, some universities have GCSE requirements.

Here at Lancaster University, our A level entry requirements for Mechanical Engineering is A level Mathematics and a Physical Science, for example, Physics, Chemistry, Electronics, Computer Science, Design & Technology or Further Mathematics.
If you have any other questions about A level choices, what its like to study engineering or about student life let me know : )
Izzy (Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest