The Student Room Group

Can a Child/Paediatric Nurse becomes a Physician Associate?

If I do an undergraduate degree in child nursing, will I be able to do a Physician Associate Postgraduate degree?

Thank you
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Idkkkkaidennnn
If I do an undergraduate degree in child nursing, will I be able to do a Physician Associate Postgraduate degree?

Thank you

If you're a registered healthcare professional, like a nurse or midwife, you might be able to apply to become a physician associate. You'll need to take a postgraduate qualification in physician associate studies to do this.
I believe most PA masters courses require an undergraduate bioscience degree. If that is your aim you may want to check before committing to another undergraduate course.

Also note there are a couple of PA undergrad courses (Reading and UCLan I believe - I think there might be another one now too?).
Reply 3
Original post by Idkkkkaidennnn

Thank you

I've previously seen nurses enter into PA courses. I think your hands on experience will put you ahead of many of the lifescience based students. That being said you may be at a slight disadvantage in certain ways, potentially having a less well rounded understanding of pathology/physiology of particular areas of medicine. But don't let that dissuade you from applying. Of the students below my year, I believe one of the top performing was from a nurse background.

Hope this helps and send me a message if you would like anymore information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending