The Student Room Group

Careers with a degree in anatomy, developmental human biology

I am currently in my third and final year at uni and really struggling with what to do next year and the rest of my life. I've enjoyed my degree, not so much the developmental side, but I've loved anatomy and dissection in particular.
I've always thought of myself ending up in some kind of healthcare role, but obviously will need more study for this. I've done work experience at an osteopath, and have also been looking at physician associate studies and podiatry. But at the same time perhaps I should be pursuing something with my love for dissection in mind.
It seems to be a slightly uncommon degree so I can't find much inspiration from other graduates. Does anyone else have a degree in anatomy, or a career which incorporates this subject. Any responses would be greatly appreciated, I'm so stuck at the moment and it's terrifying!
Reply 1
Physiotherapy is prob a better option if you enjoy anatomy and want a job in healthcare. PA Is a new role; I don't know if you would be viewed as a poor man's fy1.

Another route could be a post grad in Nursing , you could become an advanced nurse practitioner(ANP) ; decent money, well respected lots of opportunities.

As a ANP you would be at the top of the Nursing pyramid, a very respected member of the NHS workforce. I feel as a physician associate you might struggle to get respect and be looked down on by real drs and the public.
Reply 2
Teaching anatomy (you would do dissection as part of it)? Medical school with plan to become a surgeon?
Original post by RPratt
I am currently in my third and final year at uni and really struggling with what to do next year and the rest of my life. I've enjoyed my degree, not so much the developmental side, but I've loved anatomy and dissection in particular.
I've always thought of myself ending up in some kind of healthcare role, but obviously will need more study for this. I've done work experience at an osteopath, and have also been looking at physician associate studies and podiatry. But at the same time perhaps I should be pursuing something with my love for dissection in mind.
It seems to be a slightly uncommon degree so I can't find much inspiration from other graduates. Does anyone else have a degree in anatomy, or a career which incorporates this subject. Any responses would be greatly appreciated, I'm so stuck at the moment and it's terrifying!

@RPratt

Nail surgery is taught as part of an undergraduate degree in podiatry, so this might be of interest to you. There is also the option after a degree in podiatry to do further study to become a podiatric surgeon (though this does take time).

Try not to panic about what you want to do next! If you can access career services, or if you can talk to a physician associate/shadow a podiatrist then this might help you see what you would like to do.

Alternatively, you could also attend open days where you could talk to students and lecturers to find out more.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 4
Original post by RPratt

One piece of advice that I've heard from others is that if you do some work in the care sector, you'll have a good idea if a healthcare career is for you. It also provides some insight into what various professions do. And also, I've observed that it stands candidates in good stead if applying for a second degree or conversion course. Just an idea, anyway.

What I would say is that physio would be a better choice if anatomy is your love. But the application process is much, much more competitive.
Original post by RPratt

Academic research in the subject. Also most medical schools have anatomy technicians - although often the demonstrating seems to be done by medics (although not always) the preparation and overall management of the cadavers and anatomy resources does at least sometimes seem to be managed by scientific/lab technicians with an anatomy based background at undergraduate. I recall seeing Cambridge advertising for such roles now and then for example, when I was living/working there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending