The Student Room Group

Should i apply for an MPlan or a traditional undergraduate?

Im just about to about to apply to study Planning at

Cardiff, Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester,

And wondering if (in the unis that offer it) should I apply for a normal undergraduate or an Mplan. I hope on getting full accreditation from the RTPI in the future. At the moment I'm going to apply to the normal undergraduate, incase I wanted to do the postgraduate degree needed in another uni.

The idea of an Mplan seems good though, but not sure how flexible they are in terms of switching on and off an MPlan from a normal undergraduate in a scenario where you change your mind. Is it easier to apply for an Mplan and then possibly decide to just do the 3 years, or is the opposite easier?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Marbleshrine
Im just about to about to apply to study Planning at

Cardiff, Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester,

And wondering if (in the unis that offer it) should I apply for a normal undergraduate or an Mplan. I hope on getting full accreditation from the RTPI in the future. At the moment I'm going to apply to the normal undergraduate, incase I wanted to do the postgraduate degree needed in another uni.

The idea of an Mplan seems good though, but not sure how flexible they are in terms of switching on and off an MPlan from a normal undergraduate in a scenario where you change your mind. Is it easier to apply for an Mplan and then possibly decide to just do the 3 years, or is the opposite easier?

In terms of student finance, an integrated masters is better funded than a separate masters. You will get undergraduate funding (tuition fee loan and maintenance loan) for the integrated masters year. For standalone postgraduate masters, you get one loan of around £12k to cover both tuition fee and your living costs. It's the same amount whether your course is a year or two years long.

It might be worth calling your unis to ask if it is easy to swap between the courses.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
In terms of student finance, an integrated masters is better funded than a separate masters. You will get undergraduate funding (tuition fee loan and maintenance loan) for the integrated masters year. For standalone postgraduate masters, you get one loan of around £12k to cover both tuition fee and your living costs. It's the same amount whether your course is a year or two years long.

It might be worth calling your unis to ask if it is easy to swap between the courses.

Ah thanks a lot! You probably would have no knowledge of this but I am from Wales where the maintenence loan/grant is significantly more generous, but assuming an Mplan would still be abit more beneficial financially? (Will try and research myself).

Decided to go for the MPlan for sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool in the end since it seems like the better choice, Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending