The Student Room Group

Rank these for me please

Scroll to see replies

Original post by username6661155
Rank these Universities for me by prestige please
Bristol, Loughborough, Lancaster, Exeter, Birmingham, York, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham
To be honest ranking them is a pretty pointless exercise as you get a good degree at the end of the 3 years and the piece of paper saying you got your degree is the exact same from all these uni’s in the real world. Rankings and all that jazz is just a fun thing people like to do on The Student Room and Reddit when they are bored or procrastinating from doing their actual work. But if you must insist, then here is my rankings: Bristol, York, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Exeter, Loughborough, Lancaster, Birmingham.

There is very little difference between all of them though and they are all decent top 20 universities which give you that “magic” piece of paper after 3 years…
Reply 21
Original post by Muttley79
Not correct for many degrees. For Engineering for example, if you want to go into F1 then Oxford Brookes is the place to go.

Except my my nephew-in-law who went over the Mercedes F1 team having done a masters at Birmingham.

Maybe, just maybe, getting a job is more about how you write your application and present yourself at the interview than the colour of the tie you might happen to have in your draw? Employers including F1 teams don't give a stuff about which university you went to. They do however care a lot about what skills and knowledge you bring to their company as well as the fact that you align with their values and how they work.

Oxford Brookes no doubt has good links with F1 teams who are located just up the road. But that doesn't mean that all people who do engineering at Oxford Brookes are immediately in with a high chance of getting a job in F1. Far from it. They don't take just anyone.

I really struggle to understand where this idea of prestige of university comes regarding getting a job comes from. Good students go to universities perceived as good and therefore get jobs because they are the best. The university has little to do with it.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by hotpud
Except my my nephew-in-law who went over the Mercedes F1 team having done a masters at Birmingham.
Maybe, just maybe, getting a job is more about how you write your application and present yourself at the interview than the colour of the tie you might happen to have in your draw? Employers including F1 teams don't give a stuff about which university you went to. They do however care a lot about what skills and knowledge you bring to their company as well as the fact that you align with their values and how they work.
Oxford Brookes no doubt has good links with F1 teams who are located just up the road. But that doesn't mean that all people who do engineering at Oxford Brookes are immediately in with a high chance of getting a job in F1. Far from it. They don't take just anyone.
I really struggle to understand where this idea of prestige of university comes regarding getting a job comes from. Good students go to universities perceived as good and therefore get jobs because they are the best. The university has little to do with it.
That's one example - Brookes is targeted by F1 because their course was designed with F1 input. They have Brookes grads in every team - the unis success at Formula Student is unmatched in the UK.
https://imeche.org/events/formula-student/previous-events
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 23
That's one example - Brookes is targeted by F1 because their course was designed with F1 input. They have Brookes grads in every team - the unis success at Formula Student is unmatched in the UK.
https://imeche.org/events/formula-student/previous-events
Fair enough. Very much the exception over the norm. And F1 needs a university of enthusiastic undergrads as they burn through new recruits really quickly. My nephew left after 18 months having been utterly burned out in that short time and he was one of the last of his intake to still be there. They certainly don't look after their staff and work you extremely hard for the privilege of standing next to Lewis Hamilton once a year.
Original post by hotpud
Fair enough. Very much the exception over the norm. And F1 needs a university of enthusiastic undergrads as they burn through new recruits really quickly. My nephew left after 18 months having been utterly burned out in that short time and he was one of the last of his intake to still be there. They certainly don't look after their staff and work you extremely hard for the privilege of standing next to Lewis Hamilton once a year.
My ex-students are still working for their teams and don't say that. Some teams are better than others -
Bristol, Loughborough, Lancaster, Exeter, Birmingham, York, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham

For engineering, I'd go Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Lancaster, York, Birmingham, Loughborough, Exeter
In order: Bristol, Manchester/Exeter,Nottingham, York, Birmingham, leeds, Loughborough, Lancaster
Reply 27
My ex-students are still working for their teams and don't say that. Some teams are better than others -
Fair enough. Must be Mercedes. He was sent to London one afternoon straight from work for three days. Didn't have time to pack. Told to buy clothes when he got there. In my book that is poor planning and poor leadership.
For prestige, the most foolproof (yet by no means watertight - they could be being associated with more prestige by employers somewhere else) way is which high ranking universities have the highest percentage of privately educated students. Not only can this change around to some extent from year to year but Oxbridge are exempt from this because they deliberately try not to have the highest these days. The biggest thing I notice is that the privately educated are rating Loughborough better than the average person too. Some of the 'posh' love sport, for which it is perhaps too strongly known when it does much else, and Loughborough ranks far more academically high than many people (apart from those who know about Engineering) give it credit for.

The percentages are sometimes so relatively close that I'd rather tier them:

1 Exeter. Bristol (Bristol has clearly taken steps to increase non-private school admission and I feel it is no less prestigious than Exeter overall).
2 Nottingham (there was a time not so long ago when Nottingham would have been in tier 1. It still is for some courses). Birmingham. Loughborough
3 York. Leeds. Manchester (in some ways, Manchester is the most technically prestigious due to the number of Nobel Prize winners. But being more heavily associated with science can reduce appeal with the arty).
4 Lancaster

How does this compare to QS World University Rankings?:
32nd: Manchester
55th: Bristol
75th: Leeds
84th: Birmingham
100th: Nottingham
122nd: Lancaster
153rd: Exeter
167th: York
212nd: Loughborough

Exeter (30.3%)
Bristol (24.6%)
Nottingham (19.8%). Birmingham is about the same (said to be 'about 20%')
Loughborough (19.3%)
York (17.9%)
Leeds (17.7%)
Manchester (16.2%)
Lancaster (10%)
(edited 2 days ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending