The Student Room Group

Disability evidence in applications?

I have applied for uni and been requested to provide medical evidence. I do not have a formal diagnosis currently due to a disastrous rheumatology appt in October where my pain and other complications were completely invalidated. Just wondering what I should submit as medical evidence and how to go about this situation?? I have exam accommodations at my current school that I would still need in university.
Could your school provide a letter ?
Original post by sharkomen
I have applied for uni and been requested to provide medical evidence. I do not have a formal diagnosis currently due to a disastrous rheumatology appt in October where my pain and other complications were completely invalidated. Just wondering what I should submit as medical evidence and how to go about this situation?? I have exam accommodations at my current school that I would still need in university.

Hello!
I am a deaf student and would recommend applying for Disabled Students Allowance as this may give you some support you need but as part of the application process you are asked to provide evidence but through a form that a doctor or GP can fill in, when completing this I submitted the same form to the university and this was accepted, maybe you could do the same?

Hope this helps,
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello!
I am a deaf student and would recommend applying for Disabled Students Allowance as this may give you some support you need but as part of the application process you are asked to provide evidence but through a form that a doctor or GP can fill in, when completing this I submitted the same form to the university and this was accepted, maybe you could do the same?

Hope this helps,

Do you know much about the process of completing the form? I have seen the form but I do not know if I get a choice in who fills it out at my doctors and whether I am able to discuss it with them. Thank you so much for any help. I will have a look into Disabled Students Allowance, thank you.
Original post by sharkomen
Do you know much about the process of completing the form? I have seen the form but I do not know if I get a choice in who fills it out at my doctors and whether I am able to discuss it with them. Thank you so much for any help. I will have a look into Disabled Students Allowance, thank you.

Hello!
This may depend on the GP surgery you are with but the form is just for someone with a medical license to look at your records and sign off that you do have a diagnosis, they don't do much more than that. The next stage after this is an interview style where they ask you what your needs are and what they could give you to help ease this. In terms of filling in the form, I simply went to my GP and handed it to them and asked if someone could fill it in so I could submit it.

Hope this helps,

Quick Reply

Latest