The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Accommodation at Sussex university

I have just confirmed my place at Sussex and am looking to apply for accommodation. Can people who live in any of the on-campus accommodation tell me which one they're in and how they're finding it?
Original post by Conlove
I have just confirmed my place at Sussex and am looking to apply for accommodation. Can people who live in any of the on-campus accommodation tell me which one they're in and how they're finding it?

Hello, thank you for your question.

Myself, I have previously lived in Northfield for a couple of years, and currently, I am living in Lewes Court (en-suite) accommodation. Overall, I have enjoyed living in both places; although, I do prefer my current flat, due to Lewes Court's rooms being more spacious, slightly cheaper in price, and with a bit more of storage space. However, Northfield does have a bigger bathroom, especially the shower, in comparison to Lewes Court. Both options included living with 5 other people, which for me worked quite well - not too many and not too few. Noise-wise, the rooms are pretty sound-proof, so generally, I did not have many issues. Let me know if you would like any more details about either of these accommodation choices.

Also, is there a particular type of accommodation you are considering (en-suite/ non-ensuite/ bigger/ smaller/ on-campus/ off-campus)? I would be more than happy to provide you with more information about any of the choices you might be interested in. :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
(edited 2 years ago)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by skbhistory
Sorry to jump in on this thread but I am currently looking at applying to Sussex and want to know if it is possible to get campus accommodation in the 2nd and 3rd years of my degree too (not just the 1st). Many thanks, Oliver

Hello Oliver,

No worries, and thank you for your question. Yes, it is possible to apply for on-campus accommodation in your 2nd and 3rd Year; although, you are not guaranteed to receive a housing offer, unless you meet specific criteria. These include having a health or mental disability that would benefit from this type of support or being a Care Leaver. Let me know if either of these criteria apply to you and I will be more than happy to provide you with further information. However, if this does not apply to you, it is worth mentioning that all students can still register their interest for on-campus accommodation. Typically, you will be placed on the Sussex Housing Waiting List and a housing place will be offered to you, subject to availability.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. :smile:

Best Wishes,
Hi Kasia, I have ASD (Aspergers) and a statement of SEND. I just want the certainty of knowing that I can live in a university residence if I want to. Sorry to trouble you.
Original post by skbhistory
Hi Kasia, I have ASD (Aspergers) and a statement of SEND. I just want the certainty of knowing that I can live in a university residence if I want to. Sorry to trouble you.

Hello, no worries >> Always happy to help :smile:.

To apply for the continuation of housing, on the basis of disability, you would first have to contact the Sussex Student Support Unit ([email protected]), since they are responsible for supporting these types of applications. The procedure will involve you providing evidence of your disability (the SEND certificate should be sufficient; although the team would let you know if further evidence was required). Then, you would be asked to fill out the Continuation of Housing Application Form (which ought to be emailed to the [email protected]). Subsequently, a Disability Advisor would assess your application and review your evidence before a decision is made. You would also have to sign a Consent Form. See this web-page for all the relevant details and links to the applications forms: Student Disability Unit Housing Application Form.

While, myself I cannot tell you for certain that you would be guaranteed on-campus housing, I have met students in your position, whom have been successful in securing housing on-campus, on the basis of their disability. To seek further re-assurance, I would recommend emailing the Student Support unit ([email protected]), as well as, the Sussex Housing Team ([email protected]). I am sure they will be more than happy to inform and advise you on the exact procedure and the likelihood of being offered on-campus accommodation.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions :smile:.

Best Wishes,
Original post by Conlove

Hey @Conlove, thanks for your question and congrats on the offer!

I don't currently live in any on-campus accommodation but I did recently a couple of years ago in my 1st year during 2018/19. I lived in Northfield which I greatly enjoyed as having an en-suite was very convenient and as Kasia mentioned above, the flat dynamic is good with 5 other housemates. It wasn't too many which meant noise wasn't an issue and there weren't too few either. Northfield also has a launderette in the reception block which was great to have nearby and there's a computer room in the building too, which meant I didn't have to travel far to print off readings or lecture notes etc.

One thing that's worth being aware of however is that Northfield is the furthest accommodation from the central part of campus, around 10 minutes away I'd say. So it does take a bit longer to get to lectures or shops such as the co-op from here compared to more centrally located accommodation choices such as Swanborough or East Slope, which also have en-suites and could only be a couple of minutes away from your lectures. I still enjoyed my time in Northfield though as its location meant that the surrounding area wasn't as noisy, which I personally liked. It's also worth pointing out that en-suite options do cost more and you could save a fair bit of money across the year by going for other choices such as Brighthelm which students also really like, due to the accommodation here being similar to a regular house rather than student halls which can feel more homely.

Ultimately it's a personal decision which depends on your preferences and budget, but I hope that provided some insight for your decision making! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :smile:

- Isthiak (BA History with Proficiency in Arabic, with a Professional Placement Year)
(edited 2 years ago)
I missed my deadline for applying uni accommodation at uni of Sussex, should I wait for their allocation as I joined waiting list or I should just look for private.

What if I confirmed a private accommodation and not accepted by uni or uni offers accommodation, what can I do?

Anyone has similar experiences? Please give me some advices.

So stressed and confused. 😫

Thanks
Reply 7
Hi, I will not be needing accommodation this course (sept 2023-24) so I’m looking to re-let my room. I've been given a room at ALUMNO FALMER RESIDENCE, University of Sussex and University of Brighton (Falmer campus)
It is a studio with own bathroom and own kitchenette. All bills and broadband included. My tenancy agreement is £320 per week, 51 weeks, in the residence web these studios cost actually £360 per week. Please message if interested.
You can see the studio photos at the web of wearehomesforstudents.com
Thank you in advance
😊
Original post by Anonymous
I missed my deadline for applying uni accommodation at uni of Sussex, should I wait for their allocation as I joined waiting list or I should just look for private.

What if I confirmed a private accommodation and not accepted by uni or uni offers accommodation, what can I do?

Anyone has similar experiences? Please give me some advices.

So stressed and confused. 😫

Thanks

im in the same position and scared they wont allocate me a room as I live overseas atm but reluctant to get private accodomation sorted as so expensive.
whats the likelihood of getting accom through waiting list??? someone pls help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending