The Student Room Group

Very Mature Student

HI. I hope somebody can advise me?
I would like to apply to start a degree this year. I would be 55 at the start of this degreeso I am obviously a mature student.
I am having trouble working out if I could get any kind of student finance?
I studied 2 years of a degree back in the 1990s. I received some sort of student finance, it amounted to around £3000. I paid part of this back but still have, as far as I know some outstanding. Would anybody know if A) I could apply for student finance if I have had a loan so long ago?
B) Would I have to pay the outstanding balance of the amount I owe before I could apply again?
If its not possible to apply for student finance for somebody like myself are there any other options to finance study?
Hi Lesage,

You would not be ineligible for student finance if you took out loans in the 1990s unless you are in arrears. We would ask you to declare your years of previous study and this may affect your tuition fee loan entitlement. For example, if you have 2 years of previous study this would mean if you start a new course you would have to self fund the 1st year unless you have evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons. Otherwise, if you are under 60 when your course starts you will be eligible for the full package of funding from SFE.

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 2
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi Lesage,
You would not be ineligible for student finance if you took out loans in the 1990s unless you are in arrears. We would ask you to declare your years of previous study and this may affect your tuition fee loan entitlement. For example, if you have 2 years of previous study this would mean if you start a new course you would have to self fund the 1st year unless you have evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons. Otherwise, if you are under 60 when your course starts you will be eligible for the full package of funding from SFE.
Thanks,
Calum
Thank you for replying. I imagine I am in arrears. So this doesn't sound positive. If I paid off what I owe Would this have a bearing on the situation. I am also in have a disability, would this make any difference to the application. The course I am interested in is a distance learning full time course and it takes 2 years to complete.
Hi Lesage,

Yes, if you clear the arrears with whoever holds your loan balance you would then be eligible for funding from us

In regards to funding if you are disabled, we can offer an uplift to the maintenance loan called the "Special Support Element" if you send us evidence that you receive disability benefits. We also offer Disabled Student Allowance for support with your studies. However, this won't affect your eligibility if you are in arrears.

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending