The Student Room Group

uni grades are so inconsistent

My uni grades are always so inconsistent it's stressing me out
I can't predict what grades I'm expecting because they're all over the place.
In 1st year my grades ranged from 55 to 88 and in 2nd year, my grades ranged from 42 to 85. I'm currently in 3rd year and I was hoping that my grades would be more consistent but it doesn't seem like it. So far in 3rd year, my grades have ranged from 58 to 75. It's not like I'm putting in more effort for one of my modules more than another - I put in the same amount of effort for all of them and I try my best and make sure I read the assignment briefs.

How can I make sure my grades are more consistent?
Original post by heart2you
In 1st year my grades ranged from 55 to 88 and in 2nd year, my grades ranged from 42 to 85. I'm currently in 3rd year and I was hoping that my grades would be more consistent but it doesn't seem like it. So far in 3rd year, my grades have ranged from 58 to 75. It's not like I'm putting in more effort for one of my modules more than another - I put in the same amount of effort for all of them and I try my best and make sure I read the assignment briefs.

Hi @heart2you ,

This kept happening to me last year and I couldn't figure out what I was doing right in some modules that I wasn't doing in others as I thought I was putting all the things I needed to into my work.

I'm sure you already have done this but something that helped me was reading all of the feedback from assignments I had handed in and making a list of what was mentioned as things I needed to include and also any positive points. I then booked study skills sessions which they may have at your uni too where they explain certain things, such as referencing or critical writing and this made my work more consistent.

Also, if you haven't already I would suggest to talk to your tutors as they are usually happy to talk to you and give you feedback on your work and they may be able to explain to you why your grades are inconsistent. Or if you have an academic advisor then I would schedule a meeting with them as they will be able to look through your work and marks and highlight why it may be inconsistent.

I hope some of this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Original post by heart2you

Hi there

I understand achieving inconsistent grades can be quite stressful, and you are not alone in this situation.
Depending on the modules, the content can vary quite significantly. It is most likely that you will have a stronger and weaker subject which can impact your grades. Many times, the way the marker grades your exam can vary too. I find with my own grades there are differences between the feedback that is given- different markers can give different weight to different aspects of coursework.

Things that I have found useful in improving my grade is listing the strengths and weaknesses of my essays. Focusing on weaknesses that have been pointed out in multiple essays and attempting to improve on these. I would also recommend reaching out to your seminar leader for feedback in person. This can really help you understand where you have went wrong.

I hope this helps.
Good luck with 3rd year!
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Different assessments look for different things, so what this says to me is that there's a bit of a skills gap whereby you do wella t one 'type' of assessment and not so well at others which require something different from you. The advice above about skills sessions etc is good advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending