The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

What are my options?

So I failed a module and had to resit. I am not sure how this exam went but if I was to fail my resit exam, what are my options? I don’t want to repeat the whole year as my parents would kill me and I passed all my other modules. I am currently going an ADHD diagnosis and the woman that referred me told me I show signs of having it. Would this be an acceptable extenuating circumstance?
Original post by beealz39
So I failed a module and had to resit. I am not sure how this exam went but if I was to fail my resit exam, what are my options? I don’t want to repeat the whole year as my parents would kill me and I passed all my other modules. I am currently going an ADHD diagnosis and the woman that referred me told me I show signs of having it. Would this be an acceptable extenuating circumstance?

Is the module a core module? Or could it be described as "outside a candidate’s core course, such as languages or elective modules"?

You say you "passed all my other modules". Would you say that your performance in this one module was "inconsistent with the overall performance of the candidate and where they have been able to demonstrate achievement of the minimum course learning outcomes in other modules"?

Also, what year of study is this? Are you studying Pharmacy or Medicine (different rules apply there)?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by DataVenia
Is the module a core module? Or could it be described as "outside a candidate’s core course, such as languages or elective modules"?

You say you "passed all my other modules". Would you say that your performance in this one module was "inconsistent with the overall performance of the candidate and where they have been able to demonstrate achievement of the minimum course learning outcomes in other modules"?

Also, what year of study is this? Are you studying Pharmacy or Medicine (different rules apply there)?

So I’m in first year. I’m doing Law and my grades literally range from like 2:1 to 2:2s with some thirds so I am not sure if it’s inconsistent or not. It’s not a core module however, it’s 15 credits.
Original post by beealz39

Hi,

I understand this is probably a very stressful time, and would say it's probably best to email [email protected] as they should be able to clarify this for you and give you an exact answer :smile:

I'm pretty sure though that you can resit failed modules twice/you have "2 attempts to retrieve failed credits" (I found this info here under FAQs "7. How many times can I attempt each module?"), so I assume you can resit the exam again if you fail and shouldn't have to repeat the year. It says it will say if it's your final opportunity to sit the module on your results letter. Again, I think you'll have to double-check with the exams team though for the best advice for your specific situation.

Best of luck with everything & hope it all works out for you!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m in first year. I’m doing Law and my grades literally range from like 2:1 to 2:2s with some thirds so I am not sure if it’s inconsistent or not. It’s not a core module however, it’s 15 credits.

OK. The first thing to point out is that Kent's Regulations for Taught Courses of Study say (with my added emphasis):

"7.6 Failure of Modules
A student may be registered on a module on, at most, three occasions. Thus a student who has failed a module on three occasions will not be permitted to undertake further assessment on the module in question. This may be varied where valid extenuating circumstances have been submitted by the student and accepted by the University."

So, if you fail this resit you should have one final opportunity to pass. That tallies with what Natalie has said above. And even then, "valid extenuating circumstances" may add further flexibility.

The second thing, and this is a little more circumspect, is that Kent's Credit Framework for Taught Courses of Study says (again with my added emphasis):

"7.4 Attainment of Minimum Learning Outcomes for Stage 1
Where a Board of Examiners is satisfied that a candidate has attained the minimum learning outcomes for Stage 1 of an undergraduate degree course, it shall have discretion to award the necessary credits for progression notwithstanding the marks obtained on particular modules. Note: This discretion will be used only in exceptional circumstances where a candidate has failed to obtain marks necessary to proceed on modules whose learning content is not central to the learning outcomes of the course, where the marks on the failed modules are inconsistent with the overall performance of the candidate and where they have been able to demonstrate achievement of the minimum course learning outcomes in other modules. The object of this discretion is to encourage interdisciplinary and experimental study and the take-up of modules outside a candidate’s core course, such as languages or elective modules, and so as not unreasonably to penalise students who have chosen to take such modules but through experience have found them particularly difficult and burdensome."

That's a wordy way of saying, "If you failed an elective module, we might turn a blind-eye and ignore that fact if you've done well enough in the rest of the course". (I assume you're used to Kent's use of the term "Stage 1" to mean first year.)

Finally, it worth noting that the failed module doesn't necessarily need to be resat before you can continue onto second year. As the Exam Results FAQs which Natalie has directed you towards say:

"11. Can I move on to the next stage and take the failed modules alongside my new ones?
This may be possible under exceptional circumstances. Where you have failed fewer than 25% of the credits for your stage, the Board of Examiners may allow you to proceed to the next stage of the course, providing you pass the previously failed modules at the next opportunity. This option, known as "trailing", is at the discretion of the Board of Examiners and is usually only considered after the August resits. If you are permitted to trail credits in this way, it will be specifically stated on your results letter.

If you are allowed to trail credits and then fail them for a third time, you will be required to withdraw from your course regardless of how good your results are at the following stage."

It's probably worth reading all those FAQs actually, as several of them are relevant (e.g. "19. What happens if I fail again after resitting/resubmitting in August?" and "20. Who can I talk to for extra support?").

So, it sounds like you options should become clearer to you once you receive the results from your resit, which you should have by 17:00 on Friday 8 September 2023. Do reply on this thread if you need further guidance. Good luck! :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending