The Student Room Group

Stay with relatives

Should I stay at my relative's house because her house is near my university?
Hi,

It's really up to yourself and your relatives, if you are comfortable living there and so are they and you have your own space there then I don't see why not. Are there other options you're considering just in case?

Kind regards,
Katie (Film Graduate)
University of Wolverhampton
Original post by patrickburdge

Hey!

It's totally your personal choice based on your priorities. To make your decision, you can look towards different things like comfort and privacy, what is your relationship dynamic, comparing transportation and commute with your relative's place and any other option you have, financial considerations etc. Ultimately, the decision to stay at your relative's house or explore other accommodation options depends on your individual preferences and circumstances. Hope this helps!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

@patrickburger

I don't think you should stay at your relative's house just because they are near the university. I think you need to think about what it would be like to live there. It would mean that university is easy to get to, but I think you need consider the whole picture.

Have you lived with them before? If you are wanting to be more independent at university, will it still feel like living with your parents? Will you be expected to be there at meal times and to help out around the house? Or do they want you to pay rent and to look after yourself?

How do they feel about you having friends over? How do they feel about you getting back late? Will you have your own room with a desk? Will you be able to get work done there or will you have to spend most of your time at the library? Do you get on well with them and any others in the household? If they live on their own, will they want you to keep them company? Will you feel guilty about going out/getting back late from uni?

Ideally, it's great if you can stay with a relative and save on expenses, but it may cost you in other ways. I think you should definitely think it through. I am not saying that you should not stay with your relative, but I think you should think about what it would be like.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 4
Is she happy for you to stay with her, and are you happy to stay with her?

Hey there @patrickburdge !

If she's okay with that and it would be more cost effective for you then I don't see why not. You may miss out on some key social aspects of university though but that's completely your decision. Just make sure you know your key route to getting into university and how you'd get there if your plan A falls through.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending