The Student Room Group

Drama studio London, Artsed, Rose Bruford or Guildford

Hey all
I am CONFUSED !
I’m an International student so I have no idea which one to choose from. They are all great but I have no information about their industry standing or connections or reputation.
I got an offer for MA in Acting from DSL, Artsed and Rose bruford and I have my second round audition for Guildford in March. Any help or insight would be amazing.
I am looking for straight Acting programs not MT
Reply 1
Original post by Aaryasr
Hey all
I am CONFUSED !
I’m an International student so I have no idea which one to choose from. They are all great but I have no information about their industry standing or connections or reputation.
I got an offer for MA in Acting from DSL, Artsed and Rose bruford and I have my second round audition for Guildford in March. Any help or insight would be amazing.
I am looking for straight Acting programs not MT

Generally, it's going to be down to how you felt going into auditions with the schools. Did you feel like the teaching helped and/or made you think about your pieces differently? You're looking for somewhere that will help you grow as much as possible. It also helps to look at the success of alumni, to see where they ended up after the course. If lots of them have a career you want, that would be a good sign.

I have heard the most positive feedback about Guildford in terms of MA, but my circle is pretty much BA-oriented so I'm afraid I can't offer the best advice.

Everyone's experience of drama school is so unique, that your instinct on this is most likely going to be the best option. Congratulations for the offers! I hope all goes well for you.
Reply 2
Original post by emmaapril
Generally, it's going to be down to how you felt going into auditions with the schools. Did you feel like the teaching helped and/or made you think about your pieces differently? You're looking for somewhere that will help you grow as much as possible. It also helps to look at the success of alumni, to see where they ended up after the course. If lots of them have a career you want, that would be a good sign.

I have heard the most positive feedback about Guildford in terms of MA, but my circle is pretty much BA-oriented so I'm afraid I can't offer the best advice.

Everyone's experience of drama school is so unique, that your instinct on this is most likely going to be the best option. Congratulations for the offers! I hope all goes well for you.

Thank you so much for your reply ❤️
I have emailed some Alumni from each schools to get a better understanding. But yes, in the end I’ll choose based on my instincts.
I asked because all my audition and interviews were online so it was a little difficult to gauge. I wish I was already in London and could visit the schools.
But thank you So So much 🙏
Reply 3
I would say Arts Ed for the best chance of being signed by a good agent after. They have the best industry connections. Deffo not DSL.
Arts Ed and Guildford and Rose Bruford are some of the top ones in the country.

RB is a much more ‘serious’ school. Arts and GSA are very industry recognised and have good contacts with agents.

RB and GSA have accommodation on campus for the first year, which could be useful, both within easy reach of London, GSA is a huge campus, lots of varied courses and lots going on, their own bars, supermarket and lots of halls of residence.

Arts is in a suburb of London, they don’t have any on site accommodation, so you’d have to rent somewhere. However it’s renown for its MT and the success of pupils going into jobs.

I’m afraid I don’t know much about DSL.
Reply 5
Original post by Georgiek9
Arts Ed and Guildford and Rose Bruford are some of the top ones in the country.
RB is a much more ‘serious’ school. Arts and GSA are very industry recognised and have good contacts with agents.
RB and GSA have accommodation on campus for the first year, which could be useful, both within easy reach of London, GSA is a huge campus, lots of varied courses and lots going on, their own bars, supermarket and lots of halls of residence.
Arts is in a suburb of London, they don’t have any on site accommodation, so you’d have to rent somewhere. However it’s renown for its MT and the success of pupils going into jobs.
I’m afraid I don’t know much about DSL.
Thank you so much for your insight. After all my auditions now fully done! I am between ArtsEd and Rose Bruford. I have contacted some Alumni from these schools as well to get an idea of the school culture. Thanks thanks 🙏
Reply 6
Original post by CD2000
I would say Arts Ed for the best chance of being signed by a good agent after. They have the best industry connections. Deffo not DSL.
Thanks, yeah I am defo seeing a lot of ArtsEd graduates in TV and Film which is exactly what I am looking for. Thank for helping me figure this out 🙏🙏
Original post by CD2000
hi, i’ve just been offered a place by DSL, can i ask why you’ve said ‘deffo not’ for them? genuinely curious as i’m trying to suss out whether to accept or not
Reply 8
Original post by maxxiesomerville
hi, i’ve just been offered a place by DSL, can i ask why you’ve said ‘deffo not’ for them? genuinely curious as i’m trying to suss out whether to accept or not
The majority of the people that have graduated from their BA/MA/MFA course over the last few years have either not been signed or signed by very poor agents! It does not have the reputation it had 10 years ago. I often forget it even exists. Not very rated in the industry either (so I’m a told by a casting director). Rose Bruford is lovely school (I went) but the class sizes are way too big IMO and this was before they merged with ALRA. Now lovely campus but the agency rep is again not great especially for MA.
Reply 9
Original post by CD2000
The majority of the people that have graduated from their BA/MA/MFA course over the last few years have either not been signed or signed by very poor agents! It does not have the reputation it had 10 years ago. I often forget it even exists. Not very rated in the industry either (so I’m a told by a casting director). Rose Bruford is lovely school (I went) but the class sizes are way too big IMO and this was before they merged with ALRA. Now lovely campus but the agency rep is again not great especially for MA.
Thank you so much for all this info ! It was exactly what I was looking for, inside insight.
I finally have shortened my list and it’s between ArtsEd and Guildford . I have heard good things about both and their industry connections. So hopefully I make the right decision
Reply 10
Original post by Aaryasr
Thank you so much for all this info ! It was exactly what I was looking for, inside insight.
I finally have shortened my list and it’s between ArtsEd and Guildford . I have heard good things about both and their industry connections. So hopefully I make the right decision
Which schools did you apply for? Also you might see me at Arts Ed next year :wink: I got an offer for the MA.
Original post by CD2000
thank you!
Original post by CD2000

Did you do BA Acting at Rose Bruford? I’m interested in what you say about class sizes and agency rep. Compared to GSA, for example?
Original post by Aaryasr

Hey, congrats- I have just accepted my MA Acting offer at GSA !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending