The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Diversity at St Andrews University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Picnicl
You just said that St Andrews ranks below all 3 other ancient Scottish universities, and Dundee, for Medical School. So Anonymous 2 is actually more glowing about that than you are.
I think you are all deliberately trying to digress here. I used Medicine as a sort of coutnerweight. Medicine alongside Dentistry and VetSci are one of those regulated degree programmes where in theory the programme meets the requirements and standards set out by the GMC and as per the process set out by the NHS Recruitment Department, the process is blinded by where you studied Medicine for example and it won't impact upon where you land a role or what specialty etc. This has always been the case. Heck I believe you need the same grades to study Medicine at Edge Hill University as you would at Manchester.

But as I said Medicine (or Medical Sciences to be precise) and International Relations, are the two subject areas that St Andrews IS reputed for internationally and that I would say I would make the effort to go there. Beyond that, it really is nothing special and the university's marketing department must be so thankful for the fact Kate and William went there, and that the Ivies have a low acceptance rate.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
St Andrews has been such a vital university that it only had 150 students at one time in the 1800s, despite having been a university since the early 1400s. It is more like choosing to study at an old monastery (it largely just taught theology until the late 1700s). You can get buildings like that in livelier places you know. Its research quality is mediocre for such a lionised university by some. Self-regarding Southern English students ponce around in red gowns (not that they're always smartly dressed - make your mind up what your vibe is). 59% of its intake are female, suggesting some isolated romanticism regarding the place that more appeals to females (females still tend to enter Oxford and Durham in higher numbers than men but the percentage at those places is around 54%. I don't have the figure for Cambridge but it's probably more like 48-52% women because Cambridge is so well known for sciences, which tend to attract more male students). 40% of its intake are international. There must be some Dead Poets Society style marketing going on abroad as no doubt some buildings could give that vibe. I visited St Andrews for half an hour (admittedly outside of term time) and was ready to leave. To an international student, living right on the coast might seem very normal as a place to study because the UK is an island.
(edited 1 month ago)
We've digressed? Yes we have but the thread was originally about diversity, nothing more. It was you who digressed from that in to saying how St Andrews isn't all that worth it usually, comparatively, anyway. But we've deliberately digressed? Nothing I said was designed to disagree with you. In fact I agree with everything else you've said but I think you set sail on your own little boat of righteousness and you assumed that everyone else was firing a cannon at you rather than wanted to get on the boat.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 23
Sigh. Some people here really don't like St Andrews - and that's fine. Not everyone will and you should visit to see what you think for yourself if you are considering applying. I don't mind people politely sharing their own personal experience or providing factual evidence. I do dislike derogatory comments based on very little evidence. So Anon2, don't have issue with your post stating facts. Do have issue with your first post trashing the students who choose to study there. My daughter is happily studying at St Andrews. We aren't wealthy, her busy social life doesn't revolve around the rich students that, yes, do study there. She had her pick of universities including Edinburgh and Glasgow but chose St Andrews above them and is very happy there.
But what’s St Andrews actually ever done for Scotland, the U.K. or the world to merit its so-called prestige? I can accept the work of Sir James Black but beyond that?

Anybody claiming it to be on par with Oxbridge probably has CTE or something. TBF there are few universities worldwide that can compare on that level. I never said St Andrews was a bad university but it’s in no way shape or form this prestigious institution they (the university) would like you to think it is.

There’s a category of universities that seem to be considered these dumping grounds for rahs who couldn’t get into Classics at Oxbridge: Durham, Exeter, St Andrews, York even Lancaster. Outside a couple of subject areas they’re hardly prestigious institutions.

Durham is the worst culprit trying to portray itself as Doxbridge. Then again gun against the head moment I’d probably choose St Andrews over Durham but thankfully didn’t have to attend either, didn’t even apply.
Reply 25
Original post by Anonymous #2
But what’s St Andrews actually ever done for Scotland, the U.K. or the world to merit its so-called prestige? I can accept the work of Sir James Black but beyond that?
Anybody claiming it to be on par with Oxbridge probably has CTE or something. TBF there are few universities worldwide that can compare on that level. I never said St Andrews was a bad university but it’s in no way shape or form this prestigious institution they (the university) would like you to think it is.
There’s a category of universities that seem to be considered these dumping grounds for rahs who couldn’t get into Classics at Oxbridge: Durham, Exeter, St Andrews, York even Lancaster. Outside a couple of subject areas they’re hardly prestigious institutions.
Durham is the worst culprit trying to portray itself as Doxbridge. Then again gun against the head moment I’d probably choose St Andrews over Durham but thankfully didn’t have to attend either, didn’t even apply.
You seem to be the only person here comparing St Andrews with Oxbridge! Also the one here trying to perpetuate stereotypes. It's not a fair reflection of the university as a whole.
Original post by S1098
You seem to be the only person here comparing St Andrews with Oxbridge! Also the one here trying to perpetuate stereotypes. It's not a fair reflection of the university as a whole.
But it kinda relates to the whole lack of diversity and the racism and classism at the place. It portrays itself as this bastion of academic and cultural excellence but it really isn’t. Then you have these privileged rahs who try to cling onto that and basically make the place trash. There’s a reason only one of its graduates have actually gone onto win a Nobel prize, it doesn’t foster any sort of environment for excellence.
Reply 27
But it kinda relates to the whole lack of diversity and the racism and classism at the place. It portrays itself as this bastion of academic and cultural excellence but it really isn’t. Then you have these privileged rahs who try to cling onto that and basically make the place trash. There’s a reason only one of its graduates have actually gone onto win a Nobel prize, it doesn’t foster any sort of environment for excellence.
Not enjoying prolonging this exchange but here you go throwing in really toxic words like racism and classism when you have no actual experience of the university. As for looking at the number of Nobel prize winners as any kind of measure of how good the teaching is at a university. I really don't think that's a particularly suitable measure for most people.
Original post by S1098
Not enjoying prolonging this exchange but here you go throwing in really toxic words like racism and classism when you have no actual experience of the university. As for looking at the number of Nobel prize winners as any kind of measure of how good the teaching is at a university. I really don't think that's a particularly suitable measure for most people.
Racism and classism thrives at St Andrews you know it, that’s why you’re so defensive about it and that’s why it’s an institution that’s been left behind with the times. It isn’t even Scotland’s premier institution, Edinburgh is followed by Glasgow.

William, Kate, the medical school and IR dept only made it relevant.

And tbf the lack of Nobel laureates IS reflection on the teaching quality of the university or at least of its track record of developing future leaders in their respective fields. Simply put it, it doesn’t.
Reply 29
Racism and classism thrives at St Andrews you know it, that’s why you’re so defensive about it and that’s why it’s an institution that’s been left behind with the times. It isn’t even Scotland’s premier institution, Edinburgh is followed by Glasgow.
William, Kate, the medical school and IR dept only made it relevant.
And tbf the lack of Nobel laureates IS reflection on the teaching quality of the university or at least of its track record of developing future leaders in their respective fields. Simply put it, it doesn’t.
Absolutely not! I'm defending St Andrews because I can't stand it when people make completely unsubstantiated claims on social media and think they can get away with it. I don't even know why you are bothering when you have no particular connection with the place. I try to provide advice to folk on the St Andrews forums who are looking to appy to there - giving my perspective as a parent of a current student. I would not be happy and nor would be daughter be happy if St Andrews was how you are portraying it.
Pressing the pause button on this thread.

It will be re-opened when it has been cleaned up.

Be kind people.
Thread re-opened

Let's please continue civilly
Original post by Anonymous
Is it true that there isn’t much diversity in St Andrews? What percentage would you say are from minority ethnic backgrounds?

Every university is a large community of people with different backgrounds. Larger universities are likely to have more people in your demographic (because they have more people in total). My advice would be to choose the course most suited to your interests and not worry too much about whether you are represented proportionally or not. Quite a lot of very old universities (St Andrews among them) have been slower to transition away from class-based demarcations than more modern unis. But just because there's more to be done on diversity doesn't mean diverse people should avoid it - because that continues the problem rather than solving it. In summary, my advice to you is this isn't a topic worthy of determining the university you go to.
Original post by Anonymous
Relax yourself: St. Andrews may be so old but hardly has more than a kfc family feast’s worth of Nobel laureates. It’s an overrated university that survived because of its age, the medical school, and because of the rahs and preppies who outside of Medicine couldn’t get into a decent U.K. or US college.

Original post by Picnicl
An about 600 year old university has more Nobel prize winners than 2 universities with a combined age of about 250 years? Who'd have thought it?

Age of the university is immaterial when the nobel prizes began in 1901. However, it is quite silly to suggest this has any connection to teaching quality in the slightest.

Also unless OP specifies that they are applying to medicine, there is no point making repeated gesticulations about the medical course specifically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending