The Student Room Group

help me choose a uni (history/politics/IR)

Hi all! I'm currently deciding between offers for BSci history and politics (LSE) and MA international relations & modern history (St. Andrews) -- the offers are pretty much the same, so I can only pick one. My current interest is in history of political thought, & it would be nice to be able to take some quantitative modules (within the course if at LSE/ possibly from the math dept. if at St. A).

I'm international and can't visit at the moment -- any advice/insights would be very appreciated!
Original post by hauntedlime
Hi all! I'm currently deciding between offers for BSci history and politics (LSE) and MA international relations & modern history (St. Andrews) -- the offers are pretty much the same, so I can only pick one. My current interest is in history of political thought, & it would be nice to be able to take some quantitative modules (within the course if at LSE/ possibly from the math dept. if at St. A).

I'm international and can't visit at the moment -- any advice/insights would be very appreciated!

If you have a preference for the course at LSE (which is how I read the above), what's holding you back? What does St. Andrews have to offer that might tip the scales in that direction?
Original post by DataVenia
If you have a preference for the course at LSE (which is how I read the above), what's holding you back? What does St. Andrews have to offer that might tip the scales in that direction?

Mainly course flexibility & trying out different things -- I'm a bit meh about St. Andrews' mandatory modules but I'd get to take foreign language/other classes, or switch to a different course.
Also, I've heard that LSE has diversity/clique problems, and that it's hard for int'l students to make friends outside of their country group -- is this true?
thanks!
Original post by hauntedlime
Mainly course flexibility & trying out different things -- I'm a bit meh about St. Andrews' mandatory modules but I'd get to take foreign language/other classes, or switch to a different course.
Also, I've heard that LSE has diversity/clique problems, and that it's hard for int'l students to make friends outside of their country group -- is this true?
thanks!

Then you just (!) need to decide what's more important to you: your preferred course at LSE or the flexibility of your non-preferred course at St. Andrews.

I've heard the same about LSE, but have no evidence or first-hand knowledge to corroborate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending