The Student Room Group

drop out of Imperial doing engineering to go to Newcastle?

is this a bad idea considering imperial is a good uni for engineering and is probs better for my career
(edited 4 months ago)
That depends - why do you want to drop out? Have you explored transferring into yr 2 instead? Do you think you can complete and pass the year? Why would things be different at Newcastle?
Reply 2
Original post by Dom2004
is this a bad idea considering imperial is a good uni for engineering and is probs better for my career

If you don't enjoy Imperial and end up getting a rubbish degree but moved to Newcastle (home??) where you felt more comfortable and motivated and got a good degree, which do you think is better? Good degree from Newcastle or rubbish degree from Imperial?

And just for the record, in the world of work, no one cares where you went. They are only interested in what you can do and what you know.
In terms of career prospects yes. But if you’re not happy and likely to fail or get a low grade at imperial then no.
Moved to engineering
Reply 5
Original post by lanky_giraffe
In terms of career prospects yes. But if you’re not happy and likely to fail or get a low grade at imperial then no.

That's not true for Engineering - RG carries no weight at all!
Reply 6
Original post by Dom2004

No it's a great idea if you will be happier you'll get a better degree.
Original post by Muttley79
That's not true for Engineering - RG carries no weight at all!

Not true for medicine; true for engineering. And I don’t mean just Russel group I mean just top unis (bath, St Andrews, ivies, ect)
(edited 3 months ago)
Not true for medicine; true for engineering. And I don’t mean just Russel group I mean just top unis (bath, St Andrews, ivies, ect)

St Andrews doesn't even offer engineering...
Reply 9

No, a year in industry carries FAR more weight.

Btw, it's Russell and is totally irrelevant - Bath is good for Engineering as is loughborough and Brookes. My students choose them over Imperial and beat its grads to top jobs.
Original post by Muttley79
No, a year in industry carries FAR more weight.

Btw, it's Russell and is totally irrelevant - Bath is good for Engineering as is loughborough and Brookes. My students choose them over Imperial and beat its grads to top jobs.

Sorry, it must’ve autocorrected.

I’m aware the Russell group is irrelevant; it’s just easy to say because most of the best unis in the UK are a part of it.

No way you said Brookes.

So you’re saying that I should go
to bath instead of imperial?
Original post by Smack
St Andrews doesn't even offer engineering...

Okay? I was saying it in the context of good universities. Don’t be pedantic (please).
(edited 3 months ago)

I’m aware the Russell group is irrelevant; it’s just easy to say because most of the best unis in the UK are a part of it.

No way you said Brookes.

Yes - their placement scheme is one of the best.

No way you said Brookes.

Brookes is the very best for Motorsort engineering and Automotive [including EV] Engineering
Original post by Dom2004

Hi there @Dom2004 ,
I agree with some of the sentiments expressed above. Whether or not a switch would be beneficial would be dependent on the reasons you want to make the move . Ultimately as long as the university you attend is IMechE accredited , the engineering facilities are good , they participate and Formula student and they tick some of your personal preference ( which for me was inclusivity and diversity because I am a woman of colour as well as relationships with some of the places I wanted to work in the future , which my university does) , then you should be fine .
I would say if you are interested in a change then research all your options and make sure you are getting the best out of the change. Find the perfect fit for you , don't only consider going to Newcastle maybe look at all your choices and make a decision that you will be happy in the future.

Cece
Energy Engineering student
Demontfort University
Okay? I was saying it in the context of good universities. Don’t be pedantic (please).

I don't think many people would agree that it is pedantic to point out that a university that is being heralded as "carrying weight" in engineering does not offer engineering.
Original post by Smack
I don't think many people would agree that it is pedantic to point out that a university that is being heralded as "carrying weight" in engineering does not offer engineering.

I was naming universities which are perceived as good by employers which aren’t within the Russell group. The fact that they don’t offer engineering was sort of irrelevant to my point (which was the university that you go to sort of does matter (not including medicine)). Maybe I wasn’t clear enough.

When I was writing it, I was just thinking of good universities and not really about whether they offered engineering. The fact that they don’t offer engineering doesn’t impact my point; so what was the point of pointing it out?
I was naming universities which are perceived as good by employers which aren’t within the Russell group. The fact that they don’t offer engineering was sort of irrelevant to my point (which was the university that you go to sort of does matter (not including medicine)). Maybe I wasn’t clear enough.

When I was writing it, I was just thinking of good universities and not really about whether they offered engineering. The fact that they don’t offer engineering doesn’t impact my point; so what was the point of pointing it out?

The user you were replying to was talking about engineering, in a thread about engineering, in the engineering forum, so people are going to assume you are discussing engineering. I certainly agree that there are plenty of good universities that are not members of the Russell Group.
Original post by Smack
The user you were replying to was talking about engineering, in a thread about engineering, in the engineering forum, so people are going to assume you are discussing engineering. I certainly agree that there are plenty of good universities that are not members of the Russell Group.

My apologies that I included St Andrews, but I was just naming good universities not in the Russell group since someone said to me that RG doesn’t matter and I agreed. I wasn’t thinking whether they offered engineering.

But you’re right.

Quick Reply

Latest