The Student Room Group

Taking Time Off Uni, Leaving Student House

I really need some help. I'm in my third and final year of my degree. I've been struggling with mental health issues for the last few years, but the anxiety of final year has made it get much worse, to the point where it is impacting my physical health as well.
I've just finished my first semester, and it didn't go very well because of my issues with mental health, and I will likely be trying to resubmit this work during the summer. I have just started my second (and final) semester, and my course leader has recommended that I take some time out of uni and come back to finish it when I am doing better with my mental health.
My problem is, what do I do about the student house that I am living in? I am renting a room in a shared house, and I have heard that if you take time out of uni, you stop getting money from student finance. This means I won't be able to pay my rent. Also if I wanted to move back home to recover my mental health, what do I do about the house I'm renting in? Do I have to find someone to take over my tenancy, and how do I do this?
People keep saying that there is help out there and you can take time off if you need to. But it feels like this option isn't possible for me.
Please help! I don't know what to do :frown:
Original post by alf987
I really need some help. I'm in my third and final year of my degree. I've been struggling with mental health issues for the last few years, but the anxiety of final year has made it get much worse, to the point where it is impacting my physical health as well.
I've just finished my first semester, and it didn't go very well because of my issues with mental health, and I will likely be trying to resubmit this work during the summer. I have just started my second (and final) semester, and my course leader has recommended that I take some time out of uni and come back to finish it when I am doing better with my mental health.
My problem is, what do I do about the student house that I am living in? I am renting a room in a shared house, and I have heard that if you take time out of uni, you stop getting money from student finance. This means I won't be able to pay my rent. Also if I wanted to move back home to recover my mental health, what do I do about the house I'm renting in? Do I have to find someone to take over my tenancy, and how do I do this?
People keep saying that there is help out there and you can take time off if you need to. But it feels like this option isn't possible for me.
Please help! I don't know what to do :frown:

Hi there
My friend was in a similar position to you and they did take her student finance off her but that was because she definitely wasn’t going to be coming back any time soon! So I know this does happen to students unfortunately. I’m not entirely sure what the exact period of time is before they take the finance off you but this would be a good question for your student hob at your uni, your personal tutor or even mental health team. I think you are definitely doing the right thing with taking time off!
I hope you sort it out and have the time away that you need,
Best wishes
Emily
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi,
I'm sorry to hear that you're in this position and hopefully it all works out for you. I would say ask around now if anyone is looking for accommodation, take some pictures of your room and post on a student group on facebook. That way, you can see if there's any interest and investigate so you can make an informed decision before doing anything permanent. Don't worry, it is possible!

Quick Reply

Latest