The Student Room Group

Is Computer Science the next 'useless' degree?

Been hearing this a lot as people have fears that the field is now becoming too saturated - I would like to hear other people's opinions on this!
Original post by imco195506
Been hearing this a lot as people have fears that the field is now becoming too saturated - I would like to hear other people's opinions on this!

Computing/Computer science is a rewarding field without websites comes no information and research and to create websites you need hard-code coding, as a computing student and recent graduate I can say that computing as a degree and a whole isn’t useless it’s just the UK job market is competitive you have like thousands of people competing for one job and the struggle is real high even after constantly applying and your yet to find a job 10 months after leaving university and 5 months since you graduated. Rubbish to hear computing/technology degree seen as useless.
(edited 2 months ago)
The government commissioned an inquiry into the poor employability of CS grads years ago. So it's been there already. But people still think getting a CS degree means they're going to earn millions working for google or facebook when this isn't and hasn't been the reality for a long time.

For a more recent illustration of why "tech" roles are not going to make you rich suddenly, see this article from the FT earlier this month: https://www.ft.com/content/6fb1602d-a08b-4a8c-bac0-047b7d64aba5

It's about the concept of "en*****ification" but also discusses the labour market in the computing/tech sector mainly in US contexts but those are the roles that make "tons of money" that people go into CS degrees for - being a sysadmin at some medium sized firm was never going to make you tons of money but equally may be less affected by that. Granted the UK has stronger labour laws but you're still at the mercy of American corporate governance within that if you work at one of those big FAANG type companies. Note particularly the mass layoffs going on in the tech sector currently, up to and including the likes of google.

Don't go into CS because you want to make a lot of money. Go into it if you genuinely enjoy the work - not the idea of the money the work will make. If you'd be as happy doing some kind of mid level web dev/sysadmin/similar type role as being a software engineer at google then it's a fair consideration. Equally though in that case usually the apprenticeship route is going to be the better way to go into things.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
The government commissioned an inquiry into the poor employability of CS grads years ago. So it's been there already. But people still think getting a CS degree means they're going to earn millions working for google or facebook when this isn't and hasn't been the reality for a long time.

For a more recent illustration of why "tech" roles are not going to make you rich suddenly, see this article from the FT earlier this month: https://www.ft.com/content/6fb1602d-a08b-4a8c-bac0-047b7d64aba5

It's about the concept of "en*****ification" but also discusses the labour market in the computing/tech sector mainly in US contexts but those are the roles that make "tons of money" that people go into CS degrees for - being a sysadmin at some medium sized firm was never going to make you tons of money but equally may be less affected by that. Granted the UK has stronger labour laws but you're still at the mercy of American corporate governance within that if you work at one of those big FAANG type companies. Note particularly the mass layoffs going on in the tech sector currently, up to and including the likes of google.

Don't go into CS because you want to make a lot of money. Go into it if you genuinely enjoy the work - not the idea of the money the work will make. If you'd be as happy doing some kind of mid level web dev/sysadmin/similar type role as being a software engineer at google then it's a fair consideration. Equally though in that case usually the apprenticeship route is going to be the better way to go into things.

I'm going into CS because I like the problem solving and mathematical element of it. I also enjoy building stuff and have been doing it for a few years through making my own fun projects. Is this a good reason to get into CS?

I understand that at the end of the day that experience and skills matters more than anything else but I think a university degree will really allow me to use it as a back board to get somewhere in addition to some of the skills I've gained through the time I've spent doing stuff like this.

I'm not in it for the money (though this would be a plus).
Original post by vnayak
I'm going into CS because I like the problem solving and mathematical element of it. I also enjoy building stuff and have been doing it for a few years through making my own fun projects. Is this a good reason to get into CS?

I understand that at the end of the day that experience and skills matters more than anything else but I think a university degree will really allow me to use it as a back board to get somewhere in addition to some of the skills I've gained through the time I've spent doing stuff like this.

I'm not in it for the money (though this would be a plus).

If genuine then yes that's a fair rationale. I suspect many students convince themselves of such thing to justify the perceived end of making a ton of money at google or what have you, when in reality that's not how it really pans out as above.

Do also consider what other subjects might incorporate the same things you enjoy. There are lots of other numerate degrees, most if not all of which have problem solving aspects. You may find for example geophysics incorporates all the "skills" you enjoy using while having subject content you find more interesting potentially, for example!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending