The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Do I stick with my Queen Mary place, or wait another year?

I feel like my situation is quite unique. I have already taken a gap year, and currently have got a place at Queen Mary for Mathematics, which I got through clearing. I tried to get into computer science at both Queen Mary and KCL (as well as maths at KCL), but it was all full. I would also prefer to do an industrial year, as work experience is very valuable, but the only thing that was available was a professional placement year with maths at Queen Mary, which is in the finance sector. I would like to do something related to software engineering when I finish uni, so what do I do? Is a maths degree at Queen Mary at all helpful to get into that sector? I could potentially transfer to KCL in the second year to do maths there, but is that even helpful? Or is it more worth waiting another year o study a computer science degree?
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like my situation is quite unique. I have already taken a gap year, and currently have got a place at Queen Mary for Mathematics, which I got through clearing. I tried to get into computer science at both Queen Mary and KCL (as well as maths at KCL), but it was all full. I would also prefer to do an industrial year, as work experience is very valuable, but the only thing that was available was a professional placement year with maths at Queen Mary, which is in the finance sector. I would like to do something related to software engineering when I finish uni, so what do I do? Is a maths degree at Queen Mary at all helpful to get into that sector? I could potentially transfer to KCL in the second year to do maths there, but is that even helpful? Or is it more worth waiting another year o study a computer science degree?

The combination of Maths, the Finance Sector and your interest in Software Engineering screams Quant to me.

Quants (formally "Quantitative Developers") are very maths-focused software developers within investment banks or hedge funds. Essentially, they create software libraries and tools which price and risk different financial instruments. There's a reasonable description of the role on Glassdoor, here. If that sort of role interests you, then I'd stick with what you're doing.

You'd want to do some software development "on the side" whilst at uni, so you know what you're talking about when the time comes. But Quants seem to primarily be maths folk with computer science knowledge, rather than computer science folk with maths knowledge.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2

What will you do? Im in slightly similar situation. Go QMUL this year or gap to go UCL next yr
Reply 3
Original post by Imti77
What will you do? Im in slightly similar situation. Go QMUL this year or gap to go UCL next yr

This may or may not be the best option, but this is what I'm doing. I'm sticking with maths at QMUL for this year. This ucas cycle, I'm going to apply for a transfer to KCL for second year maths, aswell as first year entry for computer science at KCL, UCL. Also, QMUL(transfers to second year aren't available for computer science, or mathematics and computer science, but it can't hurt to try). Then I'll decide in the coming year what to do. If I were to start a new course again next year, it wouldn't be the best decision financially, but I'd do a computer science course with a year in industry, which would help cover my uni fees. I want to do something related to software engineering, so alongside my maths degree, where I'll learn some python anyway, I'm going to learn some code outside of uni aswell. Don't know if this is similar to your situation but this is what I'll be doing

Transferring is difficult, but at the same time a 2nd gap year could disrupt your momentum even further. QMUL is an alright university, i suppose it's a fine uni. But if you really want to study CS degree then wait another year.
Reply 5
Original post by Imti77

What makes you think that you will get into UCL next year?
Reply 6
Original post by Scotney

Good question

Stick with Queen Mary.
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney

Im very likely to I would say. Im applying for biomedical engineering. Last ucas cycle I only applied to Imperial for Biomedical Engineering and managed to get the offer after doing interviews. Everyone I knew that applied to both for Biomedical Engineering got UCL offer but some didn't get Imperial offer. It was my mistake to not apply to UCL last year and now I regret it
Reply 9
Original post by Imti77
Im very likely to I would say. Im applying for biomedical engineering. Last ucas cycle I only applied to Imperial for Biomedical Engineering and managed to get the offer after doing interviews. Everyone I knew that applied to both for Biomedical Engineering got UCL offer but some didn't get Imperial offer. It was my mistake to not apply to UCL last year and now I regret it

why didnt u accept the offer? coz u didnt want the major?
Reply 10
Original post by veau17
why didnt u accept the offer? coz u didnt want the major?

My Imperial offer? If you're talking about imperial then basically I did put it as my firm (1st choice) but didn't get the grades on results day so have to go to my insurance which is QMUL. But If I had applied to UCL most definetely wouldv'e recieved the offer and I got the grades that UCL ask for so couldv'e went there instead of QMUL right now. Thats why I regret
Reply 11
honestly to me education is important, i personally would attend qmul for 1 yr (if that doesnt hurt ur chances of getting into ucl) then apply to ucl if ur so confident as well as other unis. if u get in then great u can go, if u dont then its fated and u can stick with qmul.

i dont believe in settling for something ur not completely satisfied with. always do something u want to do that u regret not doing. good luck.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by veau17
honestly to me education is important, i personally would attend qmul for 1 yr (if that doesnt hurt ur chances of getting into ucl) then apply to ucl if ur so confident as well as other unis. if u get in then great u can go, if u dont then its fated and u can stick with qmul.

i dont believe in settling for something ur not completely satisfied with. always do something u want to do that u regret not doing. good luck.

I really wanted to take a gap year but could not convince my parents so now I'm going qmul. If I do end up restarting at ucl, then I will look at this 1 year not as waste but as experience tbh. If it doesn't work out how I want it to, then atleast I know I tried and so won't have any regrets continuing at qmul.

Hardest part might be telling my personal tutor I want to reapply to another uni haha, I still don't even know who he/she is but thinking of having that conversation makes me anxious.
Have you managed to make that transfer happen?
Original post by nbfasmnbf
Have you managed to make that transfer happen?

I am sticking with maths at Queen Mary for the 3 year duration. I am not too sure what I will be doing after, maybe do a masters in computer science, but for now I am trying to learn coding outside of uni, picking up a module from the school of computer science (I can only pick one which lasts one semester), and will try to get an internship after year 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending