The Student Room Group

Is the Ebacc useful/needed to get into uni?

So my GCSE making choices session is coming up soon in march. Our school requires us to only take 9 subjects due to timetable constraints. I end up having 3 subjects which i can choose, and intend on choosing computer science, economics and DT. I’ve been told that taking a language is needed in order to be ‘considered’ to being accepted to a top university. Is this a load of junk or will they actually benefit me?

thanks in advance :smile:
It’s a load of old junk.
Original post by Admit-One
It’s a load of old junk.

What I thought too, never really understood the point.

thanks for the quick reply :smile:
Original post by a_schoolstudent
So my GCSE making choices session is coming up soon in march. Our school requires us to only take 9 subjects due to timetable constraints. I end up having 3 subjects which i can choose, and intend on choosing computer science, economics and DT. I’ve been told that taking a language is needed in order to be ‘considered’ to being accepted to a top university. Is this a load of junk or will they actually benefit me?

Did Ebacc for my GCSEs and I feel that French was just a waste of time that could have been spent on other subjects. I highly doubt any University will be bothered whether or not you did a language if you want to do a course that isn't languages-related

Ebacc is useless as far as I know, it’s just there to make pupils do a “wide variety of subjects” or to make the school look “good”.

This Ebacc and Pathway XYZ stuff when it comes to being able to select GCSE options is useless in my opinion and ought to be forbidden in schools. MFL stuff is also probably junk as well as AO says unless you’re looking to do a languages degree obviously.

By pathway I don’t mean having subject blocks but having so that some students have to do certain subjects based on what pathway they’ve been put in e.g Pathway 1 students having to do GCSE MFL but Pathway 2 students have a choice on whether they’d like to do GCSE MFL or not.
Original post by serterweryerper

Did Ebacc for my GCSEs and I feel that French was just a waste of time that could have been spent on other subjects. I highly doubt any University will be bothered whether or not you did a language if you want to do a course that isn't languages-related

Most of the people i’ve spoken to are trying to get me to take a language but i never got the point. A language is something which you can learn yourself, so i thought it would be a waste of time to take it i guess

thanks for the quick reply btw :smile:
Junk 👍
Original post by Talkative Toad

Ebacc is useless as far as I know, it’s just there to make pupils do a “wide variety of subjects” or to make the school look “good”.

This Ebacc and Pathway XYZ stuff when it comes to being able to select GCSE options is useless in my opinion and ought to be forbidden in schools. MFL stuff is also probably junk as well as AO says unless you’re looking to do a languages degree obviously.

By pathway I don’t mean having subject blocks but having so that some students have to do certain subjects based on what pathway they’ve been put in e.g Pathway 1 students having to do GCSE MFL but Pathway 2 students have a choice on whether they’d like to do GCSE MFL or not.

thanks for the fast response :smile:

i would never take a languages degree so this interesting to know, cheers!
Original post by SilverPebble
Junk 👍

👍cheers
thanks for the fast response :smile:

i would never take a languages degree so this interesting to know, cheers!

Yeah because in some cases you need A-level MFL or an equivalent in the relevant language to do languages at university (if you’re not going to study the language from beginners level).

But seeing as you’re not looking into doing a languages degree then I don’t see why you would need GCSE MFL. You can do GCSE MFL if you enjoy it though or if it’s a free high grade I guess but if you don’t want to do it then don’t.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad

Yeah because in some cases you need A-level MFL or an equivalent in the relevant language to do languages at university (if you’re not going to study the language from beginners level).

But seeing as you’re not looking into doing a languages degree then I don’t see why you would need GCSE MFL. You can do GCSE MFL if you enjoy it though or if it’s a free high grade I guess but if you don’t want to do it then don’t.

alright, thanks :smile:

No university requires a MFL or the Ebacc - it's about the school performance tables and is of no benefit to you.
Original post by Muttley79

No university requires a MFL or the Ebacc - it's about the school performance tables and is of no benefit to you.

cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest