The Student Room Group

Placement hours made up by end of 3rd year

What is the highest amount of sickness hours on placement in total a student nurse has ever had to make back before the end of year 3 please?
Original post by Sister_Shizzle
What is the highest amount of sickness hours on placement in total a student nurse has ever had to make back before the end of year 3 please?

You'll have to discuss the matter about making up lost hours for placements with your university course leader and you course placement officer who'll then arrange it for you to attend the lost time.

Regardless of the total amount of sickness hour's missed you'll have to make sure you have them completed - all 2300 hours of placement hours and also all of the 2300 hours of university studying/ practical hours must be completed by the time you are qualified and applying to the NMC for your nursing registration pin.
Hi, thank you for the information. Does this mean I have to make the time back by the end of year 3?
Hi, thank you for the information. Does this mean I have to make the time back by the end of year 3?

You'll have to make it up at some point but do discuss it with your placement officer asap and see what they can do.

You'll make it up in your own time with either working when you are days of from university of any placements you have coming up or perhaps during some of your annual leave holidays that you get throughout the academic term.
Original post by Littleemma98
You'll have to make it up at some point but do discuss it with your placement officer asap and see what they can do.

You'll make it up in your own time with either working when you are days of from university of any placements you have coming up or perhaps during some of your annual leave holidays that you get throughout the academic term.

I have calculated that I will owe around 305 hours by the end of my final placement so I am hoping I can be given an extra placement over the summer to make them up
Reply 5

Not sure about other unis, but at my uni we are only allowed to make up hours in retrieval period, not in theory time or anual leave. At the end of each year they have set aside 4 weeks to do this if needed.
But i believe if you owe too many hours for this period you cant "graduate" and get your pin until the hours have been completed.
Reply 6
305 hours is just over eight weeks at full time hours, have you discussed this shortfall in your hours with your university?
Original post by moonkatt
305 hours is just over eight weeks at full time hours, have you discussed this shortfall in your hours with your university?

Thank you for your reply, and I have been in touch with the Uni who have passed it onto another department so I awaiting a response back.
Original post by PonchoKid
Not sure about other unis, but at my uni we are only allowed to make up hours in retrieval period, not in theory time or anual leave. At the end of each year they have set aside 4 weeks to do this if needed.
But i believe if you owe too many hours for this period you cant "graduate" and get your pin until the hours have been completed.

Apparently when I graduate in July, it will be a BSC in Health and Social Care, and then after I have made up the hours in the summer I will then get it changed to Mental Health Nursing, and then get my PIN.
I have calculated that I will owe around 305 hours by the end of my final placement so I am hoping I can be given an extra placement over the summer to make them up

You should discuss this matter with your course leader and also placement officer.
You could do extra shifts on any upcoming placements or even during any holidays or if you are currently at university studying block you can do weekends to catch up with the lost hours so you are completely finished before you graduate but you definitely need to discuss this asap and see if they can arrange things for you.
Original post by PonchoKid

Each university works differently so they might be able to fit the hours in or like you said do a retrieval period.

Hey there,

Each university differs, but they usually need to arrange an additional placement at the end of the course to make up the hours. Another way is by working an extra shift each week whilst on your normal placements to lower the number

Definitely get in touch with your university and course leader

Nat
Third-year student nurse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending