The Student Room Group

Feel I may have made a mistake

Over the summer, I had been dead-set on taking a gap year, but at the last minute I decided I wanted to go to Uni this year. I didn't really want to spend a year at home on a gap year, it just sounded a bit boring to me.

I'm holding an offer from clearing at Leeds atm, I got A*A*A, which, tbh, was better than I was expecting.

I just really can't help but feel like perhaps I should take the gap year. I mean, those grades are good enough for elite institutions. I'm not saying I'd definitely get in, by any means, but I partly feel like it's worth it. Especially given the difference in prospects between Leeds and, for example, UCL.

I'd just appreciate some advice. Honestly, I just don't know what to do. I guess my main question is how different would graduate prospects look for a Maths degree between Leeds, compared to UCL/Imperial/Warwick, etc?
Reply 1
Forget the idea that you leave Uni with automatic job offers just because you want to 'that Uni'.
It really doesnt work like that - whatever you hear.

At the level of Unis like Leeds and UCL there are no massive differences in your job chances - you will still have a good degree from a top Uni and assuming you get a First or 2i, do more at Uni than just study, and can write a impressive job application, you will do fine.

Enjoy Leeds.
Original post by McGinger
Forget the idea that you leave Uni with automatic job offers just because you want to 'that Uni'.
It really doesnt work like that - whatever you hear.

At the level of Unis like Leeds and UCL there are no massive differences in your job chances - you will still have a good degree from a top Uni and assuming you get a First or 2i, do more at Uni than just study, and can write a impressive job application, you will do fine.

Enjoy Leeds.

Thank you very much, that's incredibly reassuring to hear!!
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Over the summer, I had been dead-set on taking a gap year, but at the last minute I decided I wanted to go to Uni this year. I didn't really want to spend a year at home on a gap year, it just sounded a bit boring to me.

I'm holding an offer from clearing at Leeds atm, I got A*A*A, which, tbh, was better than I was expecting.

I just really can't help but feel like perhaps I should take the gap year. I mean, those grades are good enough for elite institutions. I'm not saying I'd definitely get in, by any means, but I partly feel like it's worth it. Especially given the difference in prospects between Leeds and, for example, UCL.

I'd just appreciate some advice. Honestly, I just don't know what to do. I guess my main question is how different would graduate prospects look for a Maths degree between Leeds, compared to UCL/Imperial/Warwick, etc?

Hi @AnotherStudent!,
Congratulations on your clearing offer at Leeds.
By applying in clearing it highlights that you do want to go to uni and feel ready - you wouldn't have looked into it otherwise. For some taking a gap year is what is best to feel more ready for uni, to work, to travel... For others it isn't a great idea. If your plan for a gap year was quite empty and you feel like it would be boring this could make going to uni in a years time harder because you lost your momentum for studying and will have lost a sense of routine. Therefore, going to uni this year may be best and only you can decide if you do want to and feel ready to go to uni this year.
As @McGinger highlighted, the job market after university is a tough and it is not as simple as getting X degree form X university. Many factors come into play such as your degree, your personality, your values and your experiences. Also some employers may ask what you got up to in your gap year - if you take one - and saying you did nothing and in a sense wasted time may not look great to an employer and against other candidates.
If the course at Leeds is one that you are interested in studying and you do feel ready for uni now then that is definitely positive signs to start uni. Perhaps talk it over with friends and family and see what their thoughts are and this might help you decide. Ultimately the decision is yours.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending