The Student Room Group

2024 UK general election speculation and build-up thread

The UK is having a general election in 2024!

Almost certainly! Though we don't know when it'll be!

As we build up to the 2024 general election, this thread is for general discussion of it, including when it will take place, how the different parties will do, and what they'll promise.

2019 result

Reply 1
I'd like to see another round of Conservative regicide before the election. It is so entertaining.
The BBC is reporting Labour will announce tomorrow that it is ditching its policy of spending £28bn a year on its green investment plan. It looks like they're choosing which policies to keep and which to drop as they finalise a draft manifesto.
Having seen the news coverage and the melodrama of the last few days and weeks, it did occur to me that I have no idea where the £28bn figure originally came from, whether it was plucked out of thin air or calculated somehow.

That said, it does worry me that Labour is too focused on the short-term finances and not concerned enough about the failure to invest in infrastructure and the impact that failure will have on the ability to grow the economy, and that that may not necessarily change once an election is won.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Having seen the news coverage and the melodrama of the last few days and weeks, it did occur to me that I have no idea where the £28bn figure originally came from, whether it was plucked out of thin air or calculated somehow.

That said, it does worry me that Labour is too focused on the short-term finances and not concerned enough about the failure to invest in infrastructure and the impact that failure will have on the ability to grow the economy, and that that may not necessarily change once an election is won.

Labour are just being careful to not have policies which the cons can rial as being financially poor. Means they basically won’t say anything until they have to.
The have a roadmap to get to number 10 but no plan for when they do.
Starmer and Labour keep claiming that they're behaving 'decisively' in terms of their policies, however the only thing theyve actually been 'decisive' about is their indecisiveness about who they are and what they stand for tbh
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by erin11
Starmer and Labour keep claiming that they're behaving 'decisively' in terms of their policies, however the only thing theyve actually been 'decisive' about is their indecisiveness about who they are and what they stand for tbh

So I read/heard an interesting counterpoint to this one recently suggesting that what really characterises Starmer is (probably excessive) caution. He probably didn't need to make quite as many left-wing pledges to win the party leadership in 2020 as he actually did, because he ended up winning in a bigger landslide than Corbyn got in 2015, so he probably could have promised less and still done enough to win. This is also his strategy (or at least his character trait!) for the general election: to make himself appear as unthreatening as possible to the average voter on as many policy areas as possible, because he's being ultra-cautious. Different electorate (a post-Corbyn Labour Party then, middle England now) but the same underlying approach but if you look at it from the perspective of policies, he's u-turned or abandoned a lot of stuff.

(I think it was probably Stephen Bush in the Financial Times who said this and I picked up on it, as it usually is! He does a morning newsletter that anyone who's interested in more thought-provoking analysis of the news can sign up for a 30-day free trial for here. It also seems to let you go and sign up for another free trial when the 30 days expire I've had plenty and have never paid :lol:)
Here is my contribution to the current political discourse:

That is all
Starmer should resign and hand it to someone else?
Conservatives polled 20% in the most recent IPSOS poll. It is their lowest level of support in the 46 years that IPSOS has conducted polls.

The aggregate poll puts them around 2% above the low they hit when Conservative members concluded Liz Truss was fit to run the country.
So I read/heard an interesting counterpoint to this one recently suggesting that what really characterises Starmer is (probably excessive) caution. He probably didn't need to make quite as many left-wing pledges to win the party leadership in 2020 as he actually did, because he ended up winning in a bigger landslide than Corbyn got in 2015, so he probably could have promised less and still done enough to win. This is also his strategy (or at least his character trait!) for the general election: to make himself appear as unthreatening as possible to the average voter on as many policy areas as possible, because he's being ultra-cautious. Different electorate (a post-Corbyn Labour Party then, middle England now) but the same underlying approach but if you look at it from the perspective of policies, he's u-turned or abandoned a lot of stuff.
(I think it was probably Stephen Bush in the Financial Times who said this and I picked up on it, as it usually is! He does a morning newsletter that anyone who's interested in more thought-provoking analysis of the news can sign up for a 30-day free trial for here. It also seems to let you go and sign up for another free trial when the 30 days expire I've had plenty and have never paid :lol:)

This is correct.

The current Labour strategy is essentially based on two things. The first is a belief that the Conservatives have annoyed enough people that Labour can win by default (though still somewhat fearful that the polls won't play out as they are - they won't imo). The second is the 'Ming Vase' aspect. Namely that the best way not to drop the vase is to be inoffensive. This has the double advantage that the current fiscal environment is very hostile and whoever wins power will need to find a way around that (or likely fail).

I don't think they can risk it.

Remember that markets don't really care what your spending money on, they care how much they are being asked to stump up.

Those who argue for borrowing to invest may well end up being proven right in the end but not before markets have charged them higher yields in the interim which means mortgage costs increase. I'm not sure Starmer can take that political risk without being willing to cut spending (Labour won't) or raise taxes (Labour won't commit to that). Unfortunately because the Tories did not go hard enough on austerity before Covid (May gave up), we are simply paying too much debt interest to stomach the fiscal punch of higher yields.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Rakas21
I don't think they can risk it.
Remember that markets don't really care what your spending money on, they care how much they are being asked to stump up.
Those who argue for borrowing to invest may well end up being proven right in the end but not before markets have charged them higher yields in the interim which means mortgage costs increase. I'm not sure Starmer can take that political risk without being willing to cut spending (Labour won't) or raise taxes (Labour won't commit to that). Unfortunately because the Tories did not go hard enough on austerity before Covid (May gave up), we are simply paying too much debt interest to stomach the fiscal punch of higher yields.

The problem with austerity is we didn’t go hard enough is a particularly insane take. Britain does not need worse infrastructure and less productive public services that the Conservatives have straddled us with, we need better.

It also highlights how much Conservatives are failing to grasp why they are heading for electoral humiliation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending