The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

UWE Bristol English Requirement?

I received a conditional offer from Bristol, UWE. In my offer letter, i was required to do ILETS or the university's English language requirement test, but i have an A* in my English IGCSE. Is it not enough or could there be a mistake in the offer.
Original post by Anonymous
I received a conditional offer from Bristol, UWE. In my offer letter, i was required to do ILETS or the university's English language requirement test, but i have an A* in my English IGCSE. Is it not enough or could there be a mistake in the offer.

If you visit UWE's English language requirements page, you will note that it says, "We are looking forward to meeting you. However, to make the most of your time in the UK, you’ll need to read, write and speak good English at GCSE grade C or the equivalent standard."

Further down the page, then then list the country-specific English Language requirements, plus the "majority English-speaking countries" for which no English qualification would be required.

Further down still they list other "recognised qualifications", which includes "Cambridge International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE)": either English as a First Language or English as a Second Language. For English as a Second Language they point out that your school or college must release you component scores as you must have achieved the required standard in all components (Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking). That's the only scenario where I see them not having accepted your A* English IGCSE because they don't have the component breakdown.

Contact the university and point out that you have this qualification (I assume it was in UCAS application?), and ask them to confirm that it's acceptable.
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
If you visit UWE's English language requirements page, you will note that it says, "We are looking forward to meeting you. However, to make the most of your time in the UK, you’ll need to read, write and speak good English at GCSE grade C or the equivalent standard."

Further down the page, then then list the country-specific English Language requirements, plus the "majority English-speaking countries" for which no English qualification would be required.

Further down still they list other "recognised qualifications", which includes "Cambridge International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE)": either English as a First Language or English as a Second Language. For English as a Second Language they point out that your school or college must release you component scores as you must have achieved the required standard in all components (Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking). That's the only scenario where I see them not having accepted your A* English IGCSE because they don't have the component breakdown.

Contact the university and point out that you have this qualification (I assume it was in UCAS application?), and ask them to confirm that it's acceptable.
The thing is my IGCSE is Pearson Edexcel not Cambridge, so maybe that's why. Thanks for your help!
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is my IGCSE is Pearson Edexcel not Cambridge, so maybe that's why. Thanks for your help!

Ah, possibly. I suspect that's an unintentional omission on their part. I'd definitely contact them to check.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending