The Student Room Group

A level revision 2024

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if i could get some feedback from people on here about my A level revision as I am self studying and don't have much guidance. I am studying Economics Edexcel A, Business Edexcel and AQA French

For Economics:

I am going through Dals playlists and understanding/noting down key bits and bobs. I plan to finish the whole course by the end of the month then intend on completing all past papers including AS ones in order to understand topics that i'm weak at as well as practice my exam technique.

for business:

I have gone through the course and will be doing the same as Economics in terms of past papers and practice Questions

for French:

Going through the possible speaking questions, understanding my IRP in depth, practicing grammar through translations and using quizlet to learn all the vocabulary. Regarding P2, i have a tutor guiding me through.

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

For economics, your plan is good. Tho you might want to use flashcards (either digital or physical) to remember the key terms. Also, you may have noticed that most essays are repetitive and they are mostly the same but the examiners sometimes phrase the essay in a way that might make you think that the essay topic is a new one. So I would suggest you to remember common analysis and evaluation points for the most repetitive essays.
Make a spreadsheet where you will insert the marks you score in each past paper and include your mistakes in that spreadsheet. After doing a few past papers, you will notice a few specific mistakes that you tend to repeat. Then you can focus on fixing those mistakes.
And start doing past papers from now. Don't wait till the end of the month. Or maybe just try the questions of past papers that you know you can answer.
Reply 2
Original post by NazifaNawer
For economics, your plan is good. Tho you might want to use flashcards (either digital or physical) to remember the key terms. Also, you may have noticed that most essays are repetitive and they are mostly the same but the examiners sometimes phrase the essay in a way that might make you think that the essay topic is a new one. So I would suggest you to remember common analysis and evaluation points for the most repetitive essays.
Make a spreadsheet where you will insert the marks you score in each past paper and include your mistakes in that spreadsheet. After doing a few past papers, you will notice a few specific mistakes that you tend to repeat. Then you can focus on fixing those mistakes.
And start doing past papers from now. Don't wait till the end of the month. Or maybe just try the questions of past papers that you know you can answer.
Thank you so much for this. I have realised that most essays tend to be repetitive but worded slightly differently as you say. I will definitely use your tip with the spreadsheet :smile:
hey, im doing French too!! what film and book are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by erin11
hey, im doing French too!! what film and book are you doing?
Hi Erin, I'm doing l'étranger and Entre les Murs
Original post by andrewarpr
Hi Erin, I'm doing l'étranger and Entre les Murs
cool! im doing un sac de billes and un long dimanche de fiancailles
Reply 6
Original post by erin11
cool! im doing un sac de billes and un long dimanche de fiancailles
Do you find it tough?
Do you find it tough?
it took me little while to get the hang out it, but now I really like paper 2 :smile: you?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by erin11
it took me little while to get the hang out it, but now I really like paper 2 :smile: you?
I started the P2 content just over 3 months ago and as daunting as it was at first, I think i'm getting there.

Could I pm you to see one of your essays as I haven't been able to see other 'in school' students essays for comparison to mine?
I started the P2 content just over 3 months ago and as daunting as it was at first, I think i'm getting there.

Could I pm you to see one of your essays as I haven't been able to see other 'in school' students essays for comparison to mine?
yeah of course!!
Reply 10
Does anyone have any tips for business?
Original post by panda41
Does anyone have any tips for business?

Nope. I do business. Got A in AS. But I don't even know how I got it. I still struggle in it very much
Reply 12
Nope. I do business. Got A in AS. But I don't even know how I got it. I still struggle in it very much
I feel that for business, as long as you master the content (which at its base is just understanding of a concept plus 2 pros/cons) then master how to write that content down in the form of exam technique you should be good.

I've made flashcards covering the content from Edexcel spec. I'd be more than happy to share them with you if you want to have a look :smile:
Reply 13
I feel that for business, as long as you master the content (which at its base is just understanding of a concept plus 2 pros/cons) then master how to write that content down in the form of exam technique you should be good.

I've made flashcards covering the content from Edexcel spec. I'd be more than happy to share them with you if you want to have a look :smile:

Yes please that would be really helpful thanks

Yes I get it. My main struggle with business is that I can't find an application from the case studies to form a good analysis. I can only catch the EXTREMELY OBVIOUS application marks.

Yes please. It would be really helpful!
Reply 15

Yes I get it. My main struggle with business is that I can't find an application from the case studies to form a good analysis. I can only catch the EXTREMELY OBVIOUS application marks.

Omds igy sometimes me too, I feel like it’s so hard to pull info out the case study to then analyse unless it’s so blatantly obvious
Original post by panda41

Right?! I wouldn't have even taken business in A levels if I knew business is this annoying. Should have gone for maths smh😑
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 17
Original post by panda41

Right?! I wouldn't have even taken business in A levels if I knew business is this annoying. Should have gone for maths smh😑

Honestly same😭
Reply 18
Original post by panda41
Original post by panda41

Honestly same😭

What are your other subjects?

Bio and chem wbu
Original post by panda41

Wow those are NOT what I expected. But I think business gives you more variety in A levels. Like studying is less boring hopefully.

My other subjects are accounting and economics
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest