The Student Room Group

Is my EPQ title too broad?

Currently, it is ‘what are the uses and impacts of CRISPR technology?’
I’m planning to do 4 main sections: medical uses, agricultural uses, diagnostics and bioenergy.
Within these 4 sections, I’ll focus on 4-5 more specific uses. For example, in the medical uses, I could talk about CAR-T cells.

Does this sound too broad? Would I lose marks if I continued with this structure?

Any advice from people who’ve completed an EPQ would be appreciated! :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by KKS12345
Currently, it is ‘what are the uses and impacts of CRISPR technology?’
I’m planning to do 4 main sections: medical uses, agricultural uses, diagnostics and bioenergy.
Within these 4 sections, I’ll focus on 4-5 more specific uses. For example, in the medical uses, I could talk about CAR-T cells.

Does this sound too broad? Would I lose marks if I continued with this structure?

Any advice from people who’ve completed an EPQ would be appreciated! :smile:
Hey one of the things abt the EPQ is they want to see progress and how your research has allowed your question to evolve. Starting basic research with this question is ok but try and get more specific as you go. By the time you start your candidate proposal, try and narrow your question. I did my EPQ on a procedure that was heavily reliant on CRISPR. With the EPQ they also want a highly argumentative essay so they would usually recommend you to use the to what extent... question format. This shows that you can form your own opinion based on the research you have done. CRISPR too is a highly controversial topic and its ethics must certainly be explored (so be sure to do this!). Think it is also really important to have a section on how the CRISPR mechanism works, its limitations (off target effects + how its mitigated), and its future improvements. I don't know if you will necessarily lose marks due to the broad nature of the question. CRISPR is a topic many at my school have explored and almost everyone received an A* with their CRISPR EPQ. But yeah not one has tried to explore multiple applications in one project. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending