The Student Room Group

what degree should I study? (oxbridge)

the title was a bit vague but this is what I mean:
I either want to do economics or modern languages (French and German, maybe with beginners Chinese, I sort of want to become fluent in 10 or more languages) but I don't know if its worth doing a languages degree at Cambridge just for the sake of going to Cambridge or if I should try to get into economics which has a lower acceptance rate. I think I might marginally like an Econ degree more and I want to go into finance, but everyone keeps saying to me "employers don't care what degree you do, do what you love" and I feel like I could enjoy economics slightly more but I don't know

economics - higher pay, better for finance, I am interested I'm just worried it would be soooo boring, low acceptance rate, I like the political and social aspects of it as well as economic history and macroeconomics, but I don't like microeconomics. I am good at maths, I got a 9 at GCSE maths and now do a level maths and further maths and am predicted As in AS (I also do French and economics and am predicted As for the end of year 12 too) so I'm alright with maths but I don't just want to do a highly mathematical degree for my whole time at un I and I probably wouldn't get in
modern languages - would love to be able to speak around 10 languages to at least a B2 level equivalent I know it sounds stupid but yeah, higher acceptance rate, I'm from a state school in a region where not many people progress too higher education so I think I could defo get in to MML at Cambridge, but MML doesn't opay as well

overall this comes down to 2/3 things: should I pick a course which is easier to get into for the sake of saying 'I go to Cambridge' and do something which the majority of the world does anyway (speak multiple languages) or should I pick a course which pays better? I like both and would be all with either but I think an mml degree could be more fun but I think I'm more interested in economics slightly, but again I'm worried I would get bored and not get in but it has higher pay
Reply 1
Apologies if this is not exactly the answer you were hoping for in terms of resolving your Cambridge dilemma, but a number of universities offer an economics and modern languages degree the best of these probably being Warwick, which is widely considered to have the most prestigious econ department outside of Oxbridge and London. Also, if you want to combine modern languages with social sciences, it may be worth at least looking into Oxford’s Modern Languages and Linguistics course. As far as Cambridge Economics is concerned, as you probably know, it has an extremely low acceptance rate you probably need to be very committed to the subject and/or extremely good at maths to stand a decent chance of getting in (and not liking microeconomics is potentially not a great sign, although micro is much more interesting at degree level than A level).
Reply 2
If your aim is just to get into Oxbridge - go for the easiest thing to get into. That would be modern MML, history or classics at Oxford or MML, Geography or History at Cambridge. So it is a no brainer if that is your aim.

However it is a myth that going to Oxbridge increases your chances in the general workplace though - only exception is banking, law or civil service - where Oxbridge still carries weight. My Aunt works in recruitment for one of the big accounting firms and she said they prioritise graduates from Warwick, Bristol, Manchester, UCL, St Andrews etc and other top Russell group rather than Oxbridge as they tend to be more well-rounded. Oxbridge are viewed as nerds in a vacuum by many employers. But you are still more likely to get an interview than say you went to some low end uni.
Reply 3
Original post by sfp04
Apologies if this is not exactly the answer you were hoping for in terms of resolving your Cambridge dilemma, but a number of universities offer an economics and modern languages degree the best of these probably being Warwick, which is widely considered to have the most prestigious econ department outside of Oxbridge and London. Also, if you want to combine modern languages with social sciences, it may be worth at least looking into Oxford’s Modern Languages and Linguistics course. As far as Cambridge Economics is concerned, as you probably know, it has an extremely low acceptance rate you probably need to be very committed to the subject and/or extremely good at maths to stand a decent chance of getting in (and not liking microeconomics is potentially not a great sign, although micro is much more interesting at degree level than A level).

Warwick seems too out the way from me, but I know there are other unis which I never even thought of such as Nottingham, Leeds and Sheffield which are closer to where I live that do Econ and mfl. Apparently at Oxford the languages course is a lot more literature based and I want an mfr degree which is more tailored to the history, art, politics, sociology and movements of the country in which the language is spoken. I think microeconomics is too bussiness-y and is going to be filled with really hyper competitive wannabe trillionaires or smh. I feel like a joint honours shows a lack of clarity, and I believe a Cambridge, as well as some other unis I've applied to such as Edinburgh and durham that you can take a language course for a year to improve proficiency (Cambridge) or do language modules for extra credit (Ed. and Durham). I am good at maths, and I can do maths in a degree, but if it's going to be weighted 70-30 maths then I don't think I could do it. I am very good at it, but I don't just want to dog a maths degree in disguise, otherwise I would have picked maths. If its about 50 50 weighted maths and stats v essay writing and social sciences then I could cope, Im predicted A*s in maths and FM for year 13 and I am rlly good at them plus essay writing. I just feel like because Ive always been quite smart I feel like its a must that I go to Cambridge or Oxford, and I don't know if I would get in for economics or if I would be bored if the people would be too boring or what. But then again mil doesn't pay as well andddddd now I'm just rambling sorryyyy

Thank you so much for your reply though, it was very informative and I will definitely consider what you mentioned about Warwick :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by Amonra
If your aim is just to get into Oxbridge - go for the easiest thing to get into. That would be modern MML, history or classics at Oxford or MML, Geography or History at Cambridge. So it is a no brainer if that is your aim.

However it is a myth that going to Oxbridge increases your chances in the general workplace though - only exception is banking, law or civil service - where Oxbridge still carries weight. My Aunt works in recruitment for one of the big accounting firms and she said they prioritise graduates from Warwick, Bristol, Manchester, UCL, St Andrews etc and other top Russell group rather than Oxbridge as they tend to be more well-rounded. Oxbridge are viewed as nerds in a vacuum by many employers. But you are still more likely to get an interview than say you went to some low end uni.

Thanks for your reply, would you mind sharing with me what other universities would be considered in the "etc"? I don't live close to many of those, but just wanted to know if there were any more specifics. Would other top 10/15 unis be ok? : )
One thing I would say is don’t go to oxbridge just because of the status. Look into the course and how it will work at that uni specifically. It’s way more intense at oxbridge and going just for the name is going to give you such a shock if you aren’t prepared for the workload.

If you’ve done a lot of research on the unis and genuinely think that the course at oxford/cambridge is for you, then by all means go for it! You don’t have to go to oxbridge just because you are really smart! Go somewhere where you can really flourish (maybe oxbridge is that for you, or maybe it’s not!)
You will be able to go into any job an Oxbridge economics grad can go into as an Oxbridge languages grad, except for civil service economics stream roles and similar economic policy based positions at central banks and similar. If your goal is just to become an investment banker at Goldman Sachs, you have just as much chance either way. The only difference is that while a large proportion of economics students will be aiming for those kinds of roles, there is probably more variety in the intended destinations of modern languages students (both role type and salary). This is just reflective of people aiming for economics at uni being very money oriented in terms of careers whereas other students may be more happy to accept jobs without eye watering salaries if they enjoy the work. So unless you have a specific intellectual interest in economics there's no particular reason to do that over something else.

That said "B2 level in 10 languages" is both quite arbitrary as a goal and not very useful realistically either. B2 level is basically "very good A-level student" standard. Anything below C1 is a bit meaningless professionally/practically (you'll be able to get by on holiday with B2 but probably not live there without making a conscious effort to develop your skills beyond that...). By the end of a modern language degree you would be approaching if not at C2 in your target language normally. I mean aiming for B2 level in a large number of languages you could achieve through dedicated duolingo usage in all likelihood.
Reply 7
Original post by idek101
Warwick seems too out the way from me, but I know there are other unis which I never even thought of such as Nottingham, Leeds and Sheffield which are closer to where I live that do Econ and mfl. Apparently at Oxford the languages course is a lot more literature based and I want an mfr degree which is more tailored to the history, art, politics, sociology and movements of the country in which the language is spoken. I think microeconomics is too bussiness-y and is going to be filled with really hyper competitive wannabe trillionaires or smh. I feel like a joint honours shows a lack of clarity, and I believe a Cambridge, as well as some other unis I've applied to such as Edinburgh and durham that you can take a language course for a year to improve proficiency (Cambridge) or do language modules for extra credit (Ed. and Durham). I am good at maths, and I can do maths in a degree, but if it's going to be weighted 70-30 maths then I don't think I could do it. I am very good at it, but I don't just want to dog a maths degree in disguise, otherwise I would have picked maths. If its about 50 50 weighted maths and stats v essay writing and social sciences then I could cope, Im predicted A*s in maths and FM for year 13 and I am rlly good at them plus essay writing. I just feel like because Ive always been quite smart I feel like its a must that I go to Cambridge or Oxford, and I don't know if I would get in for economics or if I would be bored if the people would be too boring or what. But then again mil doesn't pay as well andddddd now I'm just rambling sorryyyy

Thank you so much for your reply though, it was very informative and I will definitely consider what you mentioned about Warwick :wink:

No problem at all. You’re definitely right about Oxford modern languages being very literature-heavy, so, yeah, fair enough, you might want to steer clear if that’s not what you’re after. With regards to micro, if anything it’s often seen as somewhat more academic/theoretical/mathematical than macro it certainly makes contact with a wider range of topics in the other social sciences (e.g. lots of overlap with political science), and even moral philosophy. As far as wannabe trillionaires are concerned, option courses like money and banking which they’d likely be attracted to are often actually more macro-based. At any rate, everyone on an econ degree has to take core micro and macro modules, so you’re not going to find any difference between them in the type of person who takes them.
Reply 8
Original post by idek101
Thanks for your reply, would you mind sharing with me what other universities would be considered in the "etc"? I don't live close to many of those, but just wanted to know if there were any more specifics. Would other top 10/15 unis be ok? : )

Sorry, I don't have a list - I was just remembering what my Aunt said. I suppose it is the Russell group plus a few outside the Russell like Bath, St Andrews Lancaster and Durham. She did say a 'good' university and solid summer work experience gets you an interview - but that is all - the rest is down to interview and entrance tests.
Reply 9
Original post by Squiggles1238
One thing I would say is don’t go to oxbridge just because of the status. Look into the course and how it will work at that uni specifically. It’s way more intense at oxbridge and going just for the name is going to give you such a shock if you aren’t prepared for the workload.

If you’ve done a lot of research on the unis and genuinely think that the course at oxford/cambridge is for you, then by all means go for it! You don’t have to go to oxbridge just because you are really smart! Go somewhere where you can really flourish (maybe oxbridge is that for you, or maybe it’s not!)

I am definitely capable, I know that, as are many other applicants who apply to go there, obviously the workload would be intense and challenging but that is the case for everyone and otherwise it wouldn't be Oxbridge. My original post was me contemplating between an economics degree and a mil degree, which I could do either of and still enjoy; the question is should I do the easier one to get into for Cambridge or the harder but higher paid one at another uni potentially? I could do both and thoroughly enjoy them which is the dilemma I'm having, thanks for your reply : )
Reply 10
Original post by Amonra
Sorry, I don't have a list - I was just remembering what my Aunt said. I suppose it is the Russell group plus a few outside the Russell like Bath, St Andrews Lancaster and Durham. She did say a 'good' university and solid summer work experience gets you an interview - but that is all - the rest is down to interview and entrance tests.

ahh okay thank you : )
Reply 11
Original post by sfp04
No problem at all. You’re definitely right about Oxford modern languages being very literature-heavy, so, yeah, fair enough, you might want to steer clear if that’s not what you’re after. With regards to micro, if anything it’s often seen as somewhat more academic/theoretical/mathematical than macro it certainly makes contact with a wider range of topics in the other social sciences (e.g. lots of overlap with political science), and even moral philosophy. As far as wannabe trillionaires are concerned, option courses like money and banking which they’d likely be attracted to are often actually more macro-based. At any rate, everyone on an econ degree has to take core micro and macro modules, so you’re not going to find any difference between them in the type of person who takes them.

I like macro because genuinely since I was like 10/11 I used to watch these "alternate future of Europe / Africa / Asia" for example which got me interested in the basic "different countries and capital cities" and geography etc., and then I got into macroeconomics a few years later when I sort of realised how it all linked. I think in a personal statement it's important to highlight my interests and what my focus started with/ what I enjoy about economics specifically as opposed to "Im interested in finance" which I'm not, I would go into finance maybe as a job but wouldn't want to study it loads at uni, id rather do maths and the international/political/ large-scale aspects of economics, I also (not in a mean way) don't care about something being 'more academic' than another, which I think is really good and a slight advantage I have should I close to apply since I am not doing economics or I don't want to do economics for the salary or the academic prestige but because I genuinely do love aspects of it (eg if someone said to me I couldn't work and earn lots of money but I could do a phd and masters in economics and spend my life being as lecturer to others about economics in uni and live somewhere really small and quiet I would probably be ok with that) sorry if I rambled there but I think even though micro modules are sometimes compulsory I wouldn't pick them optionally if I had the chance
thanks for your reply ; )
Reply 12
Original post by Amonra

"However it is a myth that going to Oxbridge increases your chances in the general workplace though"

This is definitely not true. Oxbridge 100% confers an advantage.
Original post by idek101
I am definitely capable, I know that, as are many other applicants who apply to go there, obviously the workload would be intense and challenging but that is the case for everyone and otherwise it wouldn't be Oxbridge. My original post was me contemplating between an economics degree and a mil degree, which I could do either of and still enjoy; the question is should I do the easier one to get into for Cambridge or the harder but higher paid one at another uni potentially? I could do both and thoroughly enjoy them which is the dilemma I'm having, thanks for your reply : )

Ah sorry about that, it’s just because you said about potentially going to cambridge, just because it’s cambridge is all :smile:
I mean obviously having ‘cambridge’ attached to the degree will ‘sound’ better, but fewer and fewer employers are looking at what uni you go to as it doesn’t matter so much; a 2:1 or 1st from bristol is better than a 2:2 or 3rd from cam for example.
Reply 14
Original post by Laffer
"However it is a myth that going to Oxbridge increases your chances in the general workplace though"

This is definitely not true. Oxbridge 100% confers an advantage.

if i applied for a course which happened to be easier to get into though, would that mean that my going to oxford or cambridge doesn't mean anything?
Reply 15
Original post by Squiggles1238
Ah sorry about that, it’s just because you said about potentially going to cambridge, just because it’s cambridge is all :smile:
I mean obviously having ‘cambridge’ attached to the degree will ‘sound’ better, but fewer and fewer employers are looking at what uni you go to as it doesn’t matter so much; a 2:1 or 1st from bristol is better than a 2:2 or 3rd from cam for example.

would they care about the subject more then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending