The Student Room Group

Does studying two languages at uni still involve lots of literature

Hey, I'm thinking of applying for Modern Languages at Oxford uni (french and russian) but I also really want to continue studying English. Does the modern languages course at oxford still involve lots of literature or am i better off just doing one language and doing english with french? thanks!
Original post by studentinaroom3
Hey, I'm thinking of applying for Modern Languages at Oxford uni (french and russian) but I also really want to continue studying English. Does the modern languages course at oxford still involve lots of literature or am i better off just doing one language and doing english with french? thanks!

Modern Languages at Oxford is primarily literature focused, more so than any other UK degree.
At other unis this will vary depending on the modules you select and your previous experience in the language (ab initio languages will focus more on the language itself in the first year, then you will have the opportunity to explore the literature whilst cultural modules will be more likely to be taught in English).
As a general rule of thumb, the more languages you study, the fewer cultural modules you will be able to take, therefore the less literature you will read.
That being said I'd imagine 2 is fine :smile:
This is so helpful thank you!!! (Original post by not a room)Modern Languages at Oxford is primarily literature focused, more so than any other UK degree.
At other unis this will vary depending on the modules you select and your previous experience in the language (ab initio languages will focus more on the language itself in the first year, then you will have the opportunity to explore the literature whilst cultural modules will be more likely to be taught in English).
As a general rule of thumb, the more languages you study, the fewer cultural modules you will be able to take, therefore the less literature you will read.
That being said I'd imagine 2 is fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending