The Student Room Group

studying abroad

I gotten plenty of input that there is a lot of self studying and since im going in for biomedical science I know that school is going to be tough. A bit of background, i am an international student from the US and ive never been taught how to study on my own. I already know im off to a rough start so basically I wanted to get someones imput on wheather yall think I should take the leap of faith or what
I’m sure you’d be able to get to know some people in the course you can study with, which will help you immensely with learning. Just go in confident and get to know people as British people usually keep themselves more to themselves, it takes someone with confidence to often break the ice.

It is hard, but you’ll have to just make sure to stay up to date with reading, learning information, often UK universities don’t need you to remember the information as such, but know it well enough to answer a question. Many small exams are given in a time frame when you are allowed to use any resources you like. So in other words, revision and learning without such a heavy focus on memory (obviously you’ll need to know enough though!!!)
Original post by Anonymous #1
I gotten plenty of input that there is a lot of self studying and since im going in for biomedical science I know that school is going to be tough. A bit of background, i am an international student from the US and ive never been taught how to study on my own. I already know im off to a rough start so basically I wanted to get someones imput on wheather yall think I should take the leap of faith or what
Hi there,

Studying abroad is a fantastic opportunity, and the level of support you will have will definitely help you if you make the most of it. Where are you planning on going?

As it's been said, there's a big emphasis on understanding the concept/information and being able to apply it instead of being able to recall everything you've ever learnt. I don't study biomedical science, but in geography, we have more assignments than exams. Having studied abroad in the US, the assignments and exams are definitely of a higher level back home, but it is something that you can adjust to if you put the work in. Making sure you're up-to-date with readings, asking questions, looking over class materials after the scheduled class, and talking with your classmates would be great for getting used to studying by yourself.

Your lecturers, classmates, and staff from the university's careers/well-being team will be more than happy to help you. Just don't be afraid to ask for help.

Once you get settled, you might find your classmates or friends from other courses want to create a study group - or you could suggest this yourself. Perhaps this would make the transition a little easier for you!

I hope this helps and that you have a wonderful time,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending