The Student Room Group

Access to HE for Computer Science degree

Hi all,

I'm looking to apply for a CS degree course in September 2023, and will be using an AtHE course to get there.

However I'm struggling to find courses that meet the entry requirement criteria of some of the unis.

For example, Sheffield state on their requirements:

Award of Access to HE Diploma in a relevant subject, with 45 credits at Level 3, including 39 at Distinction (to include 18 credits in Maths) and 6 at Merit
None of the courses I've seen provide 18 credits in Maths, with the largest I've seen so far being 15 for a Computer Science and Maths access course.

Does anyone know of anywhere that does a course that provides sufficient credits?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
It honestly completely depends on where you live and what they offer for the most part. Sheffield is a very prestigious university and their CompSci course is very theoretical, most if not all of their applicants come from A level maths backgrounds, so meeting those expectations through an Access course will be very hard.

Have you looked at other universities? KCL for example only ask for 15 credits in maths, all at distinction. I'd also argue that KCL is a better university than Sheffield.

I'm about to complete my Access to HE course in computing, which only makes up 9 credits in maths modules, I have an offer from the University of Nottingham for Computer Science which I am accepting.
Reply 2
Original post by TheKid1986
Hi all,

I'm looking to apply for a CS degree course in September 2023, and will be using an AtHE course to get there.

However I'm struggling to find courses that meet the entry requirement criteria of some of the unis.

Award of Access to HE Diploma in a relevant subject, with 45 credits at Level 3, including 39 at Distinction (to include 18 credits in Maths) and 6 at Merit
None of the courses I've seen provide 18 credits in Maths, with the largest I've seen so far being 15 for a Computer Science and Maths access course.

Does anyone know of anywhere that does a course that provides sufficient credits?

Hi! :smile:
I've recently completed an access course, albeit in Nursing - and found myself which similar sorts of questions upon looking for a course.
I found it useful to contact the university admissions teams directly which these questions; I should imagine they would design an offer around your UCAS application which would consider these subjects, but the universities themselves will be able to give you these answers

I know this isn't a stringent answer to your question, but I hope this helps a little :smile:
Original post by TheKid1986
Hi all,

I know this is so late so i am mainly responding for people who come across this thread with the same question. You can obviously find out which Universities will accept your Access to Higher education qualification via their websites.

Not all Universities will accept an Access course for Computer Science regardless whether or not it has sufficient Maths modules so make sure the University you are applying to accepts it otherwise you will waste a University choice! An example of a University which outright does not accept Access Courses as a valid qualification is The University of Birmingham for Computer science, (this may change in the future).

I applied to The University of Nottingham, Queen Mary University, and University of Leicester all of which are Universities which accepted my Access course qualification as it stated so on their websites. These three Universities in particular, since i last checked, do not require any Maths credits at all from an ATHE course.

I chose Nottingham as my firm and since i received my results last year with full credits at Distinction, i have received an unconditional offer to study 2023/24. While the University of Nottingham does not require any Maths modules, it does ask that of the 60 credits, 45 credits must be at distinction. I guess that is the only catch. The university of Leicester require 30 credits to be at distinction if you feel less confident. Good luck everyone!
Reply 4
Just to update on this for people reading in the future.

I completed an Engineering access course through LearnDirect that got me a place on Uni of Sheffield's Computer Science course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending