The Student Room Group

What uni to choose ?

I always thought that I wanted to go to Exeter but then i got an offer from both Exeter and Durham .
Which university do you think it best for geography?
Reply 1
Not answering the question but I'm still waiting for a response from Durham. When did you put in your application? When did you get your offer? What were your grades achieved or predicted? Are you allowed contextual offers? Just really want to keep in the loop!
Thanks
Original post by cairnterrier111
I always thought that I wanted to go to Exeter but then i got an offer from both Exeter and Durham .

Hi @cairnterrier111,
Congrats on your offers from Exeter and Durham! Picking the right university is a very personal and difficult choice. Maybe look at the student satisfaction and graduate prospects on each course, from the complete university guide. Or alternatively look at the types of modules you can expect to study on each course, and see which ones you prefer, as different universities geography courses may specialize in different subject matter.
Hope this helps!
-jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd year Physical Geography)
Neither?

Go to Durham. Better overall uni.
Original post by evehodgson
Not answering the question but I'm still waiting for a response from Durham. When did you put in your application? When did you get your offer? What were your grades achieved or predicted? Are you allowed contextual offers? Just really want to keep in the loop!
Thanks

Heyyy, I put in my application on 18/01 and I got my offer yesterday which was 5/02. At AS I got AAA in bio, maths and Geo and then this year I have been predicated AAA in those three subjects and A* in welsh baccalaureate. What course are you applying for ? :smile:
Reply 6
Applied back in October for Geography BA. With predicted two A* two A and A* in Welsh Baccalaureate!
Original post by evehodgson
Applied back in October for Geography BA. With predicted two A* two A and A* in Welsh Baccalaureate!

aw yay that’s great ! i’ve applied for geography bsc
aw yay that’s great ! i’ve applied for geography bsc

Hello!
That is so exciting, congratulations! Lancaster also offers a great BSc Geography course, which allows you to undertake human and physical geography modules whilst also allowing you to minor in (almost) any subject across the university which gives you a chance to explore a subject you have maybe always had an interest in! I will leave a link below to the course https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/geography-bsc-hons-f800/2025/
Additionally, if you decide you are more interested in human or physical geography we also offer both of these courses as separate degrees, as well as Environmental Science.

Thanks,
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hi!

Congratulations on your offers! These are both really great universities! Maybe you should consider the modules that each university offers for Geography as these may differ. Also consider where you would prefer to live, as this is definitely an important factor into where you end up choosing!

Also try and go to both universities on open days if you can, and talk to the department. This might also help your decision!

Good luck! :smile:

Jamimah
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hey @cairnterrier111,

Congratulations on your offers!

Here's some tips to hopefully help you decide:

Have you been on any open days to these university - if so what did you think about them could you imagine being there for the next three years or so. If you haven't had the opportunity to go to an open day maybe check if they have any soon or if you can go to any of the offer holder days these can be a great way of speaking to current students, potential future lecturers and to have a walk around and maybe get to know the city and see whether you can see yourself there.

Have you looked into the different module options - usually they are not always the same so maybe check if there are any modules that would support you in your future career if you have any idea in what you wish to do if you don't that is completely fine! But have a look at the different modules on offer as one of the universities may only offer one that you are really interested in.

Look into the different opportunities for that course such as are there field trips, can you do study abroad or industry placement for a year?

Does the course at one of the particular uni's have any connections with any organisations that you wish to work for in the future.

If you are moving away what is the accommodation like and what is on offer, does it fit your budget etc.

Do they have a chat with student function where you can ask about the degree and what that consists of and maybe student life at that university - this a great opportunity to find out what life is like there and may help you with deciding.

Hopefully some of those tips may help, good luck!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Hi Cairnterrier111,

Congratulations on your offers from Exeter and Durham!

Like others have said I would suggest looking at the modules which both of the universities offer on their geography course. This will help you decided as there maybe more modules at one of the universities you may enjoy more than the other. I would also suggest looking at how the course is split between exams and coursework as you may have a preference on which style of assessment you prefer. I would also suggest looking at each of the universities opportunities of field trips and see which ones peak your interest more as well as how many contact/teaching hours there are each week. Finally, I would have a look at each of the cities and see which one you would like to live in and the opportunities these cities may provide.

If the universities are offering offer holder day I would go along to them so you can get a feel of the campus and the cities but it is a good opportunity to ask ambassadors and academic staff any questions you may have about the course and the university itself.

I hope this helps 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending