The Student Room Group

Does it matter whether you get a low or a high first class law degree?

I really want to volunteer at CitizensAdvice as I am passionate about volunteering and this will also help my career. However, I already have another part-time job (8 hours a week) and I am in my final year of university so taking this on may make my grades suffer.

Because I have achieved such high grades from second year and and my first semester of my final year (78-83 grades), even if I get a low 2:1 in the rest of my modules, I will still come out with a first overall. However, should I still strive to do exceptionally well in my final term to try to get to the 80s or would a 70 suffice for law firms and chambers?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I really want to volunteer at CitizensAdvice as I am passionate about volunteering and this will also help my career. However, I already have another part-time job (8 hours a week) and I am in my final year of university so taking this on may make my grades suffer.
Because I have achieved such high grades from second year and and my first semester of my final year (78-83 grades), even if I get a low 2:1 in the rest of my modules, I will still come out with a first overall. However, should I still strive to do exceptionally well in my final term to try to get to the 80s or would a 70 suffice for law firms and chambers?
Always strive to do the best, but law firms will account for your part time work etc, but getting an 80 will be extremly impressive to firms
Hello,

From my experience, a lot of companies look at applicants as a whole, your part time work and volunteer hours will sure be seen as added value. A higher score can open other opportunities for you like a masters degree, rather than a job opportunity.

Would it be possible just before exams to take a break from work?

Best of luck,
Haya MBBS V

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending