The Student Room Group

How bad is an MSc "Pass"? Is it worth it?

Hello everyone,

After graduating from a mid-ranked Uni with a First Class Honours bachelor's degree in 2018, I've decided to pursue an MSc in Computer Science at a top-ranked RG Uni and was supposed to graduate in January 2020. However, due to not placing enough focus on my studies (I clearly underestimated the rigor in my current course), which I now regret a lot, I've ended up with more than 3 failed modules. I was not allowed to resit them in August, but was made to resit them all in the upcoming January and May exam sessions. Apart from feeling humiliated that I won't get to attend graduation with my peers, the majority of my modules will also be capped at 50%, which is super depressing.

1) In your opinion, is it even worth it putting in the effort into the resits for this MSc, despite it being capped at a basic "Pass"? Does a transcript of pretty much all 50s not look bad and ruin my chances of ever getting a good job in the future? How bad does having an MSc "Pass" look in general? Will it still bite me in the ass in the far future?

2) Should just I hide the fact that I'll have an MSc "Pass" (provided I pass all resits), despite it being from a high-ranked RG Uni, from employers and just apply with my First Class bachelor? I fear that my poor MSc result will negatively affect a prospective employer's impression of me. Will having a BSc with First Class Honours followed by a MSc with Pass not look strange?

3) In the highly unlikely event that I ever wanted to pursue a PhD at another high-ranked institution in the far future (which requires at least a Merit), would years of work experience somehow compensate for my Pass, or would self-funding the degree circumvent this requirement to some extent? I'd just love to still have my doors open. :frown:

Thanks.
A lot of employers still hire based upon your undergraduate. I'm sure a pass should be fine.
Original post by random4521
1) In your opinion, is it even worth it putting in the effort into the resits for this MSc, despite it being capped at a basic "Pass"? Does a transcript of pretty much all 50s not look bad and ruin my chances of ever getting a good job in the future? How bad does having an MSc "Pass" look in general? Will it still bite me in the ass in the far future? Generally, a pass at master's level doesn't look great. However, if jobs you're applying for don't require a postgraduate qualification, then you should be fine - the emphasis will be on your first degree.

2) Should just I hide the fact that I'll have an MSc "Pass" (provided I pass all resits), despite it being from a high-ranked RG Uni, from employers and just apply with my First Class bachelor? I fear that my poor MSc result will negatively affect a prospective employer's impression of me. Will having a BSc with First Class Honours followed by a MSc with Pass not look strange? You could omit it, but then you'd be in a bit of a pickle if asked at interview to explain the gap in your CV.

3) In the highly unlikely event that I ever wanted to pursue a PhD at another high-ranked institution in the far future (which requires at least a Merit), would years of work experience somehow compensate for my Pass, or would self-funding the degree circumvent this requirement to some extent? I'd just love to still have my doors open. :frown: As you've already guessed, it would be nigh on impossible to get a funded PhD place with a pass at master's level. Work experience can only compensate for so much, as the university will want to know that you can cope with the academic rigour of PhD level study and research. Even offering to self-fund doesn't remove the fact that you would be a risk to take on, and may contribute to their non-completion stats, which any university would want to avoid.

See my responses in bold in the quote. :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you for your responses. I realise I've gotten myself into quite some trouble here. In hindsight, would it have been a better approach to pursue a master's degree at an "easier", lower ranked no-name institution and end up with a Merit? Oh man, I hate myself for screwing up this badly :frown:
Thank you for your responses. I realise I've gotten myself into quite some trouble here. In hindsight, would it have been a better approach to pursue a master's degree at an "easier", lower ranked no-name institution and end up with a Merit? Oh man, I hate myself for screwing up this badly :frown:

You admit in your OP that you didn't take the course as seriously as you should have. I'm not trying to be harsh, but trying to be realistic about your hindsight and expectations of other institutions - you can never know now whether your attitude would have been different elsewhere, so there's no point dwelling on that.

Your job now is decide what you want to do with your future, e.g. do you want to enter the job market, self-fund a second master's? Without doubt the pass will have closed a few doors for you, but that doesn't mean that there are no open doors at all. I think you should probably focus on gaining more industry experience, and trying to climb up the ranks that way, rather than within academia.
Reply 5

Honestly no, I think you know where you've gone wrong and what you now need to do to pass. Don't make excuses for yourself as it's not productive. A pass at Masters level is not viewed in a negative way like a 2.2. The standard needed at Masters level is higher than undergraduate.

I went to a low rank uni then a really high rank one and kept my marks high. It's perfectly doable.

Your failed/capped modules won't look good. Make sure you perform in the rest. You already have a good first degree too and work experience is important.
Hello everyone,

1) In your opinion, is it even worth it putting in the effort into the resits for this MSc, despite it being capped at a basic "Pass"? Does a transcript of pretty much all 50s not look bad and ruin my chances of ever getting a good job in the future? How bad does having an MSc "Pass" look in general? Will it still bite me in the ass in the far future?

2) Should just I hide the fact that I'll have an MSc "Pass" (provided I pass all resits), despite it being from a high-ranked RG Uni, from employers and just apply with my First Class bachelor? I fear that my poor MSc result will negatively affect a prospective employer's impression of me. Will having a BSc with First Class Honours followed by a MSc with Pass not look strange?

3) In the highly unlikely event that I ever wanted to pursue a PhD at another high-ranked institution in the far future (which requires at least a Merit), would years of work experience somehow compensate for my Pass, or would self-funding the degree circumvent this requirement to some extent? I'd just love to still have my doors open. :frown:

A pass isn't bad, it's great. Well done. Yes, it's worth putting in the effort. Please focus on that as all this other stuff is a distraction and understandably feeling down. The hole is finishing the degree, the hole is not that you will get a pass, you still have to get that.

One aspect of the problem here is you're posting on TSR and there are a lot of people from the subjects where it's so competitive that merits and distinctions are endlessly talked about and it distorts perceptions massively. In the real world a lot of people don't go on about whether someone has a merit or distinction, this is a very, very new thing in a few subjects. Masters' degrees are becoming far, far more common, but by the time it becomes truly mainstream you should be settled into a job and onward and upwards. About 5, 10, 15 years hence people will be banging on about merit at postgraduate taught masters' level as being the new benchmark.

In terms of biting you in the arse in the far future, it won't. I've posted about this before and sometimes it causes people to get very snappy and aggressive, but lower degree grades in the whole population actually earn more than 1sts and 2.1s. Below aged 30 the degree grade doesn't make as much difference as people say. As you'd expect it's the first couple of years out of uni it matters. Person, experience and so on matters.

It may stop you doing a PhD, or it may not. It also depends what you mean by a CS PhD, do you mean by department or by content? You deal with that hurdle when you come to it. I note that although the advice on PhDs is often very harsh on the matter on this forum, that there are a lot of students on this forum and others that have got on a PhD against the odds, setbacks or knockbacks including two on this thread! So really try and reduce the severity of the thoughts on that side of things at the moment.
Reply 7
Hello everyone,

After graduating from a mid-ranked Uni with a First Class Honours bachelor's degree in 2018, I've decided to pursue an MSc in Computer Science at a top-ranked RG Uni and was supposed to graduate in January 2020. However, due to not placing enough focus on my studies (I clearly underestimated the rigor in my current course), which I now regret a lot, I've ended up with more than 3 failed modules. I was not allowed to resit them in August, but was made to resit them all in the upcoming January and May exam sessions. Apart from feeling humiliated that I won't get to attend graduation with my peers, the majority of my modules will also be capped at 50%, which is super depressing.

Thanks.

1) Having an MSc is preferable to having a BSc, regardless of the grade.
2) You are way too concerned about this. That is not as important as you think.
3) PhD requires much more discipline than an MSc. So, bear this is mind. If you struggled with an MSc, you will likely find a PhD quite daunting.

Best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending