The Student Room Group

Group number correspondence on periodic table

I was told that the group number represents the number of electrons in the element's outer shell and all the elements in that group have the same number. Well, Hassium is a fine example where this proves to be wrong. Its structure shows two electrons in its outermost shell and ends in an s-orbital shell and the one below has 14 electrons.

Can someone explain this for me?
Original post by KingRich
I was told that the group number represents the number of electrons in the element's outer shell and all the elements in that group have the same number. Well, Hassium is a fine example where this proves to be wrong. Its structure shows two electrons in its outermost shell and ends in an s-orbital shell and the one below has 14 electrons.
Can someone explain this for me?
The 'd' block elements fill up the 's' orbital before the 'd' orbital. This is an empirical observation. This means that as the elements become more complex the outer electrons do not correspond to the group number.
However, the 's' and 'p' block elements do have this relationship.
This is one of the reasons why transition and inner transition elements are not dealt with lower down the education ladder.
Reply 2
Ah, I see. I’m studying access to engineering and it doesn’t state this. Thank you for the explanation. I’m not sure what empirical observation is but I’ll make note of that and look into it.

Quick Reply

Latest