The Student Room Group

My tier list of colleges that accept undergraduates of the University of Cambridge

SSS+: Trinity College
SSS: King’s College, St John’s College
SS+: Christ’s College, Emmanuel College, Gonville & Caius College
SS: Churchill College, Jesus College, Pembroke College
S+ Upper: Clare College, Corpus Christi College, Downing College, Magdalene College, Peterhouse, Queen’s College, Selwyn College, Sidney Sussex College, St Catharine’s College, Trinity Hall
S+ Lower: Fitzwilliam College, Homerton College, Robinson College
S: Girton College, Lucy Cavendish College, Murray Edwards College, Newnham College
S-: Hughes Hall, St Edmund’s College, Wolfson College
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Is this tier list with respect to undergrads or postgrads?
If undergrads, how does the number of Nobel laureats matter since most of them were not undergrad students at that college.
I suppose the type/quality of supervisors would be a better way to rank them in that case.
Well, I want to make this tier list a list that can reflect how prestigious a college is.
Here the "prestigious" measures more than academic results in Tompkins Table. A beautiful chapel, great alumni and fellows, a large sports ground or other enviable things can all be "prestigious factors".
A great analysis !
Reply 5
So you automatically put the Women's colleges near the bottom for no other reason than they are women's colleges??? They won't compete on the extensive alumni or wealth as Cambridge didn't award women degrees until 1949 although women were studying there well before.
Original post by NWGroupie
So you automatically put the Women's colleges near the bottom for no other reason than they are women's colleges??? They won't compete on the extensive alumni or wealth as Cambridge didn't award women degrees until 1949 although women were studying there well before.

I mean aside, from being entirely pointless as an excercise in the first place, as their given reasoning isn't even consistent (there are two other "royal colleges", a totally meaningless distinction anyway, than noted above- Queen's and Christ's) I suspect this list was either AI generated or just some teenage fantasy post.

But yes the grouping of women's colleges and mature colleges as the supposed "worst" of the bunch simply for the fact they cater to those students is telling in of itself.
Original post by NWGroupie

I am sorry about that. But they are indeed less prestigious because of the reason you have mentioned, and they don't have an outstanding academic performance.
Original post by artful_lounger
I mean aside, from being entirely pointless as an excercise in the first place, as their given reasoning isn't even consistent (there are two other "royal colleges", a totally meaningless distinction anyway, than noted above- Queen's and Christ's) I suspect this list was either AI generated or just some teenage fantasy post.

But yes the grouping of women's colleges and mature colleges as the supposed "worst" of the bunch simply for the fact they cater to those students is telling in of itself.

Ahh Yes you are correct! Queens' and Christ's are also Royal Colleges. But Trin, Johns, King's are sometimes called three "Big Colleges" or something like that.
tier list of their acceptance rate or how good they are?
Original post by Anonymous
tier list of their acceptance rate or how good they are?

It's just a totally made up list based on the whims of the OP.

It mostly corresponds to which ones are wealthiest and/or best known to the general public, which doesn't really tell you anything that the Wikipedia article on the colleges doesn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending