The Student Room Group

Gcse maths

Hi Guys, if you're aiming for 8-9 in the GCSE maths Edexcel exam, which times tables you should know? Is this specified in the specification?
Till what number you should know squared numbers?
PrimroseKitten says that for squared numbers: 1 to 13, 15 and 20 are going to be the essentials is this correct?
For 2024 we are going to get an aid sheet will that have all the formulas we need for the exam or we will be expected to know some not given on the aid sheet?
Let me know
Thank you :smile:
i thought you were joking but yeesh i looked through your posts and you really seem very confused. u need guidance
because you want to do maths, biology, psychology for a-level focus on your maths, science and English GCSE's the most. English as well because you have to get at least a 4 unless you wanna re-sit it again. no offense, but if you don't know your time tables or your squared numbers, i seriously doubt you can get a 9 (but there's still time till the exam ig)! You need a 7 to do a-level maths, which is around 135-140 marks altogether in all 3 papers (im assuming). you can find past papers and attempt and mark them to find the level you are at right now. Science you need 7 to do A-level, psychology you need to have at least a 4 in english language. formula sheet will be given in maths and physics and highlighters are allowed in your exam.

your GCSE grades which don't correspond to the requirements you need to get onto the A-level course aren't as important. (unless you're aiming for universities like oxbridge, where they might compare your GCSE grades with another student if they're in a dilemma whether to choose you or not). There are many good russell group universities which are considered prestige and don't take into account GCSE's (as much).A-levels and your extra curriculars are way more important but just focus on getting at least 7's on the subjects you need
Original post by chocolemon08
i thought you were joking but yeesh i looked through your posts and you really seem very confused. u need guidance
because you want to do maths, biology, psychology for a-level focus on your maths, science and English GCSE's the most. English as well because you have to get at least a 4 unless you wanna re-sit it again. no offense, but if you don't know your time tables or your squared numbers, i seriously doubt you can get a 9 (but there's still time till the exam ig)! You need a 7 to do a-level maths, which is around 135-140 marks altogether in all 3 papers (im assuming). you can find past papers and attempt and mark them to find the level you are at right now. Science you need 7 to do A-level, psychology you need to have at least a 4 in english language. formula sheet will be given in maths and physics and highlighters are allowed in your exam.
your GCSE grades which don't correspond to the requirements you need to get onto the A-level course aren't as important. (unless you're aiming for universities like oxbridge, where they might compare your GCSE grades with another student if they're in a dilemma whether to choose you or not). There are many good russell group universities which are considered prestige and don't take into account GCSE's (as much).A-levels and your extra curriculars are way more important but just focus on getting at least 7's on the subjects you need
Thank you very much for the reply. I just wanted to know if I should memorize times tables until 20 or not... (I know them from 1-12 already) But thank you very much for answering, and please if you have any tips or any advice just message me. I'm trying my best. It's not easy to move from a foreign country to then learn the language, adjust, and study 10 subjects at the same time, with no guidance.
Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest