The Student Room Group

A level Physics Capacitance question (1)

Can someone please explain how I am meant to solve this I have no idea where to start ?CF5ACBCE-D4E3-4217-9DBB-15646A5A6A59.jpeg
(edited 1 month ago)
cheap and cheerful method

in 1 second the PD drops to about 1/3rd of its original value

the time constant in seconds for capacitor discharge is RC (the product of resistance in ohms and capacitance in Farads)

The capacitor discharge equation looks like

V=V0e^(-t/RC)

its not in the formula sheet, but IMO is worth remembering that in an elapsed time of 1 time constant the PD will be reduced to 37% of V0 (because e^-1 is 0.3679)
and 37% is approximately 1/3rd
so for this setup RC is approximately 1 second
Reply 2
Thank you so much for helping I think I get it but if RC=1 so R = 1/(470 x 10^-6 ) = 2127 but that isn't a option where did I go wrong ?
Original post by 1234kelly
Thank you so much for helping I think I get it but if RC=1 so R = 1/(470 x 10^-6 ) = 2127 but that isn't a option where did I go wrong ?

Original post by 1234kelly
Can someone please explain how I am meant to solve this I have no idea where to start ?CF5ACBCE-D4E3-4217-9DBB-15646A5A6A59.jpeg

You have misunderstood the hint provided by Joinedup:
“in an elapsed time of 1 time constant the PD will be reduced to 37% of V0 (because e^-1 is 0.3679)”

You need to go to the graph to find the time for 1 time constant and 1 time constant is NOT EQUAL TO 1 in this case.

1 time constant is the time elapsed for the voltage to drop from the initial voltage V0 to 0.3679 of the initial voltage, 0.3679V0.

Once you have found the time elapsed say T, you will solve Eq 1:

TRC=1 \dfrac{T}{RC} = 1 ---Eq1

This is easier to solve.

If not, you can use the discharge voltage formula given by Joinedup to attempt the question:

V=V0exp(t/RC) V = V_0 \exp(-t/RC) ---- Eq2

Solving Eq2 is more tiresome than Eq 1.
Reply 4
Original post by Eimmanuel
You have misunderstood the hint provided by Joinedup:
“in an elapsed time of 1 time constant the PD will be reduced to 37% of V0 (because e^-1 is 0.3679)”
You need to go to the graph to find the time for 1 time constant and 1 time constant is NOT EQUAL TO 1 in this case.
1 time constant is the time elapsed for the voltage to drop from the initial voltage V0 to 0.3679 of the initial voltage, 0.3679V0.
Once you have found the time elapsed say T, you will solve Eq 1:
TRC=1 \dfrac{T}{RC} = 1 ---Eq1
This is easier to solve.
If not, you can use the discharge voltage formula given by Joinedup to attempt the question:
V=V0exp(t/RC) V = V_0 \exp(-t/RC) ---- Eq2
Solving Eq2 is more tiresome than Eq 1.
Thank you! I finally got the right answer

Quick Reply

Latest