The Student Room Group

Preparing to study at uni - 2024 ✨️

Hey, would anyone have any advice in wether its better to not take your car to uni?

(Currently living in NI and will need to travel overseas to other parts of the UK to study).

Im so unsure as it would be handy to have to transport my stuff to where I may be studying. However, with overall costs considered, I'm not sure if it's worth it 🤔.

Thank you!
Id recommend contacting your University, many don’t provide student parking, it can become very expensive just to store your car, and there is a fairly good chance you won’t need it depending on the kind of campus.
Reply 2
Original post by Autumn223
Id recommend contacting your University, many don’t provide student parking, it can become very expensive just to store your car, and there is a fairly good chance you won’t need it depending on the kind of campus.
I will defo do that, thank you for the advice! :smile:
Original post by EveMax1
Hey, would anyone have any advice in wether its better to not take your car to uni?
(Currently living in NI and will need to travel overseas to other parts of the UK to study).
Im so unsure as it would be handy to have to transport my stuff to where I may be studying. However, with overall costs considered, I'm not sure if it's worth it 🤔.
Thank you!
Hello!

That is a really good question!

For me, I did not take my car to university as I live close to the bus links to university, however my flatmate did take theirs. We live in rented accommodation away from the university campus, so they pay for a parking permit, which can be expensive depending on where you stay. I know a lot of students that do and a lot of students that do not bring a car- its all personal preference!

I would definitely agree with the other reply on this post suggesting to contact your university. I think it would also be worth considering your local public transport links, student parking on campus/wherever you stay, how often you would need to travel home, etc. it might also be good to go on the specific forum for universities you have applied for and asking students in those areas if they would recommend bringing a car? May it possibly be worth bringing it for the first semester and then rethinking again then?

Hope that helps!

Lucy :smile:

2nd year languages student
Reply 4
Original post by Heriot-Watt Uni
Hello!
That is a really good question!
For me, I did not take my car to university as I live close to the bus links to university, however my flatmate did take theirs. We live in rented accommodation away from the university campus, so they pay for a parking permit, which can be expensive depending on where you stay. I know a lot of students that do and a lot of students that do not bring a car- its all personal preference!
I would definitely agree with the other reply on this post suggesting to contact your university. I think it would also be worth considering your local public transport links, student parking on campus/wherever you stay, how often you would need to travel home, etc. it might also be good to go on the specific forum for universities you have applied for and asking students in those areas if they would recommend bringing a car? May it possibly be worth bringing it for the first semester and then rethinking again then?
Hope that helps!
Lucy :smile:
2nd year languages student
Thanks so much for the advice Lucy! Much appreciated, il definitely get in contact with the students from my chosen uni's for advice 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending