The Student Room Group

Low UCAT - High BMAT (UCL, Imperial, Cambridge)

Hi,

Is there anyone with a low UCAT who did the BMAT and got accepted to any BMAT unis like UCL or Imperial. I finished my UCAT today and got 2530 Band 2. I'm super disappointed with my score as I had been scoring 2900/2800 on mocks. I really want to study medicine and I'm not sure what other course I would be interested in tbh. I'm now concerned as to where to apply as I know this isn't the best score out there. My GCSEs are= 999999888 and my predicteds are A*AA (hoping to increase it to all A*s). I've got plenty of work experience = shadowing doctors at different hospitals, care home, st johns ambulance, volunteering at covid vaccination centre, teaching younger kids, volunteering at primary school and online work experience. I am hoping to do BMAT but I don't know how risky it is choose 2 BMAT and 2 UCAT or 3 BMAT Unis. Any advice would be massively helpful!!

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by xvg._107
Hi,

Is there anyone with a low UCAT who did the BMAT and got accepted to any BMAT unis like UCL or Imperial. I finished my UCAT today and got 2530 Band 2. I'm super disappointed with my score as I had been scoring 2900/2800 on mocks. I really want to study medicine and I'm not sure what other course I would be interested in tbh. I'm now concerned as to where to apply as I know this isn't the best score out there. My GCSEs are= 999999888 and my predicteds are A*AA (hoping to increase it to all A*s). I've got plenty of work experience = shadowing doctors at different hospitals, care home, st johns ambulance, volunteering at covid vaccination centre, teaching younger kids, volunteering at primary school and online work experience. I am hoping to do BMAT but I don't know how risky it is choose 2 BMAT and 2 UCAT or 3 BMAT Unis. Any advice would be massively helpful!!

I got into med with 2440 :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by (())
I got into med with 2440 :smile:

May I ask which uni’s you applied to?
Reply 4
Original post by aal23

keele aston ucl and leeds
Original post by (())

HI, I'm in a similar position. Got 2600 b1 and unsure on whether to do the bmat.
Would I be able to ask which uni(s) you received offers from and if you think that it was worth it doing the bmat too- did you find it easier than the ucat? Thanks
I got 2610 in the ucat and ive now ended up in imperial so feel free to ask me any questions
Original post by what a year
I got 2610 in the ucat and ive now ended up in imperial so feel free to ask me any questions

Which unis did you apply for? And how did you prepare for BMAT?
Reply 8

I have a similar score, my confidence levels have down very low, your message feels like a ray of hope for me. Can you suggest study material or online resources you used for BMAT, what did you score in BMAT?
have you got WP or Contextual or anyother offer ? Also confirm when is your Year of entry ?
Reply 10
Original post by Cleverclock
have you got WP or Contextual or anyother offer ? Also confirm when is your Year of entry ?

in started yr13 now, sep 2024 entry
Please confirm which Uni have you get into and which year ?
PLEASE RESPOND ASAP. TIA
Original post by Sami.v
in started yr13 now, sep 2024 entry

Many thanks for your prompt responce . Have you had any offer (WP or Contextual ) ?
And which uni have you got in?
Hearty congrats !!
Reply 13
Original post by Cleverclock
Many thanks for your prompt responce . Have you had any offer (WP or Contextual ) ?
And which uni have you got in?
Hearty congrats !!

Thanks for replying to my queries. I have just done my UCAT, haven't applied to any uni yet (so no offers yet), as of now BMAT is my only option.
What did you score in BMAT for Imperial interview? can you recommend resources you BMAT apart from medify.
Reply 14

hi!

that's awesome, congrats! what kind of statistics did you get i.e. bmat, gcses, predicteds and work experience? this would give me a sort of rough idea of what i should ideally aim for. and if you've got any uni recommendations for me?

many thanks :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by xvg._107
Hi,

It is very possible to do better in the BMAT than the UCAT, you have to start preparing pretty heavily now but based on your stats I think you have a good chance on the section 2 and with section 1 your DM revision should pay off in that too. Don't forget about the essay. Only applying to UCL and imperial is highly risky for your BMAT choices (need 6.0< in both sections and even then at interview academic interest is high/need to show you are for research, it's tough), apply to one of Lancaster or Brighton and Sussex along side. You should be aiming for a 5.0< to secure an interview at these as they rank applicants.Good luck with it!
Hi, my advice is to work hard on preparing your Bmat now and apply to 3 Bmat and one Ucat uni (one of the few that do not put all the weight on the Ucat score!) hoping for the best. Good luck!
Reply 17
Look at:

For UCAT - QUB, Keele and Sunderland and Lancaster for BMAT
Reply 18
Original post by aal23

Ugly
Original post by (())

Hey, were you WP? and did you get an offer from aston?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending