The Student Room Group

chemistry help

i have no idea what this question is even about. like i checked the mark scheme but where do i get this topic from?? its so specific but idk what im meant to apply

"Figure 7 shows the displayed formulae for the reaction of ethene with bromine.

Figure 7 (image, but i cant upload)

Figure 8 shows the reaction between ethene and chlorine and is similar to the
reaction between ethene and bromine.

Figure 8

“The more energy levels (shells) of electrons an atom has, the weaker the covalent
bonds that it forms.”
Use the above statement to predict and explain how the overall energy change for
the reaction of ethene with chlorine will differ from the overall energy change for the
reaction of ethene with bromine. "
Original post by imhomo2017
i have no idea what this question is even about. like i checked the mark scheme but where do i get this topic from?? its so specific but idk what im meant to apply
"Figure 7 shows the displayed formulae for the reaction of ethene with bromine.
Figure 7 (image, but i cant upload)
Figure 8 shows the reaction between ethene and chlorine and is similar to the
reaction between ethene and bromine.
Figure 8
“The more energy levels (shells) of electrons an atom has, the weaker the covalent
bonds that it forms.”
Use the above statement to predict and explain how the overall energy change for
the reaction of ethene with chlorine will differ from the overall energy change for the
reaction of ethene with bromine. "
The first part is the reaction between double bonds in alkenes and halogen molecules. It is organic chemistry.
The second part is about bond energies and is from the energy topic.
You can explain why reactions occur in terms of bonds breaking (endothermic) and being formed (exothermic).

Quick Reply

Latest