The Student Room Group

How much experience do I need for University Volleyball

I'm hoping to play volleyball again in University, I've played off and on for just over a year and honestly enjoy playing it and the social aspect but I'm worried about my lack of experience.
Hi @jaxy_boii,

From my experience at university, although I didn't play volleyball, it doesn't matter what level you play a sport at because there are usually lots of teams both competitive and social you can join. A lot of people go to university and end up picking up a new sport they have never played before so don't be worried if you feel like you're not experienced enough there will most likely be other people feeling the same, and like you said playing a sport has such a great social aspect to it I definitely recommend joining a team.

Hope this helps!
Louise - University of Wolverhampton rep.
Original post by jaxy_boii
I'm hoping to play volleyball again in University, I've played off and on for just over a year and honestly enjoy playing it and the social aspect but I'm worried about my lack of experience.
Hey @jaxy_boii
I'd second what wolvesrep2 said that often there are opportunities to get involved in uni sport regardless of ability and experience. From my experience most sport clubs in particular have recreational/ social team training and also have competition squads with additional training.

Take advantage of come and try sessions often during freshers time to try the sport out. I'd also recommend that if you are interested see if they have a social media and reach out to them there as usually they love to hear from possible new members and will be able to answer any questions.

Best wishes
Catherine- Univeristy of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Original post by jaxy_boii

HI there,

I also agree with what others have said - there is always a mixed ability of people in societies and everyone is welcome! Some sports societies will have a first and second team if there is a lot of them and usually you have to try out and get placed onto a team but there is room for everyone regardless of ability.
There are also usually social teams which are less competitive and don't play as many games- usually just a few against other social teams and this is a great way to join a society if you are less experienced in the sport.

I would definitely recommend you check out the volleyball stand at the sports fair if your university puts on one and chat to them about this. You may as well try out as societies are great ways of making friends and doing something you enjoy in a social setting!

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending