The Student Room Group

How are LIPA with trans people?

I went to LIPA (Liverpool institute of performing arts) for my audition for the acting (musical theatre) course in January and I'm a little worried.

My audition went very well, but I was called my deadname throughout the day despite stressing my preferred name on my application, and the panel seemed more interested in knowing if I would be comfortable experimenting with my upper range.

For context, I have been voice training since I was about 12, and can now sing in a very comfortable tenor, so there was no reason for them to ask this and I don't believe they would have asked it of a cis man.

The acting teacher also affirmed, after I spoke very passionately about wishing to be in Jekyll and Hyde, that some roles would be barred to me because I am a transgender man.

All in all l'm a little worried - has anyone else got this experience? Is LIPA an uncomfortable place to be for a trans person? I came away feeling good, but I wish I'd stuck up for myself more - looking back, following how affirmed I felt at my Mountview audition just two weeks ago, I'm very worried. Can anyone help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending