The Student Room Group

Open Day - It is never too early to start thinking!

Year 11 and Year 12’s how has 2024 been so far? And has anyone considered if they would like to be part of Higher Education? It’s okay if you are still unsure, but if you start looking now and thinking more about the future it will be much easier when it comes to the time when you need to know. :smile:

This may seem early to start looking but when I was in college and started looking at universities it consisted of plenty of online research and visiting the university in person. However, sometimes this was hard to manage especially when I had mocks coming up and finding a Saturday free to travel down somewhere and some universities have the same dates for Open Day. Therefore, I would recommend looking as early as possible as it is always best to be pre-pared. To make an informed decision if university is the right path for you, why not visit and be in the atmosphere of a Higher Education student? Plus, you can always speak to us to get a student perspective.

I have already mentioned some benefits of starting now but some others are:

-It may help in choosing what to study at college / sixth form

-Be aware of any deadlines (for example if you want to study Medicine, the deadline is earlier)

-There is no age limit to Open Days

-Gives you time if you want to change your mind, or you struggle to make decisions

-Great motivation tool especially if you are worried about grades (can motivate you to do better if worried and work towards something)

-If you are required to have some sort of experience to apply you will be made aware of this earlier, and you can go out and start finding some.

There are also other options within Higher Education such as Apprenticeships and HND/HNC programmes.

Higher and Degree Apprenticeships bring together the best of university-based professionalism and technical education. By following this path, you can receive a university qualification that is relevant to the job you are currently in. As well as the apprentice route there are

HNC Higher National Certificates

HND Higher National Diplomas

These are work-related, or vocational, higher education qualifications. They are Level 4 and Level 5 qualifications respectively and equivalent to Year 1 and 2 of an Undergraduate degree.

It’s great to know what options await you and if you have any questions you can always contact the University itself and at DMU, we have 'Chat to us' where you can message some of our Student Ambassadors and Staff.

https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/chat-with-a-student/index.aspx

-Maddie, second year Health and Well-being student at De Montfort University
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending