The Student Room Group

Having second thoughts about Uni degrees

I'm retaking an A-level because I didn't get a high enough grade for acceptance, and with this comes re-applying to Uni this year for a 2024 entry. However, I'm having second thoughts on which degrees I should apply for, and if I should change paths (now that I've had a second chance to think things through more)?

For notice, I was going to pursue a Psychology degree, however with resitting, I've also become more informed on the lack of career aspects of this degree, especially without doing internships/further education, and how more popular this degree has become (making this more competitive).
If I was to change, I'd preferably pursue something related to biology (with a foundation year, considering my A-levels were Maths, Psychology and Photography (bad combo in hindsight)), as I know that the potential career paths could be more worthwhile in the long run.

Has anyone else had second thoughts big enough to change degrees, and if so, did they work out? I know the answer may be obvious, and I have time before I need to submit my UCAS application (and I know I definitely want to go to Uni), but I don't want to make any rash decisions (especially something as big as this).
Anything is appreciated, thanks!
Original post by himik
I'm retaking an A-level because I didn't get a high enough grade for acceptance, and with this comes re-applying to Uni this year for a 2024 entry. However, I'm having second thoughts on which degrees I should apply for, and if I should change paths (now that I've had a second chance to think things through more)?

For notice, I was going to pursue a Psychology degree, however with resitting, I've also become more informed on the lack of career aspects of this degree, especially without doing internships/further education, and how more popular this degree has become (making this more competitive).
If I was to change, I'd preferably pursue something related to biology (with a foundation year, considering my A-levels were Maths, Psychology and Photography (bad combo in hindsight)), as I know that the potential career paths could be more worthwhile in the long run.

Has anyone else had second thoughts big enough to change degrees, and if so, did they work out? I know the answer may be obvious, and I have time before I need to submit my UCAS application (and I know I definitely want to go to Uni), but I don't want to make any rash decisions (especially something as big as this).

Hi @himik,

It sounds like you've already done a good job of researching each of these options - looking at the career prospects of each is definitely a good idea.

I've spoken to lots of students who have made big changes to their degree choices quite late on in the application process after looking into their options, and they were confident that they had made the right choice. Choosing your course is a big decision, but as long as you're well informed on your options, you should make the right choice!

Can you chat to your teachers or career staff at school to get some more advice? They often have a good insight into various career paths and might be able to help you with your decision.

Keep doing your research, and good luck!

Mara🙂
Original post by himik

Hi @himik,

I'm Susannah and I am a Psychology with Criminology student at ARU. I can definitely agree that Psychology has become a popular course, and it is very competitive to go into a psychological field and does require further study. However, Psychology does provide you with a lot of transferable skills that can be used in practically any job. That is why I chose it - it's such a broad subject and I had no idea what I wanted to do after university.

Focusing on your thoughts about changing your career path: this is something that, in the end, is entirely up to you. If you are more interested in a Biology course, and you feel that this would lead to a more engaging career for yourself then certainly go for it! In the end, if you choose a subject that you love and have a high interest in, then that's all that matters :smile:

I have a friend who changed her degree after the first year, and she is now much happier with her course and loves it. Although it has changed her career prospects, she seems more confident and more sure of herself and looking at it now, she feels it was the best decision for her.

I hope this helps you in deciding which course you would like to do!

Susannah (ARU)
Reply 3
Original post by ARUStudents
Hi @himik,

I'm Susannah and I am a Psychology with Criminology student at ARU. I can definitely agree that Psychology has become a popular course, and it is very competitive to go into a psychological field and does require further study. However, Psychology does provide you with a lot of transferable skills that can be used in practically any job. That is why I chose it - it's such a broad subject and I had no idea what I wanted to do after university.

Focusing on your thoughts about changing your career path: this is something that, in the end, is entirely up to you. If you are more interested in a Biology course, and you feel that this would lead to a more engaging career for yourself then certainly go for it! In the end, if you choose a subject that you love and have a high interest in, then that's all that matters :smile:

I have a friend who changed her degree after the first year, and she is now much happier with her course and loves it. Although it has changed her career prospects, she seems more confident and more sure of herself and looking at it now, she feels it was the best decision for her.

I hope this helps you in deciding which course you would like to do!

Susannah (ARU)

Hi Susannah,
I can relate on the reasons to choosing Psychology- not only is it a subject I enjoyed learning at A-Level, but there’s many skills that would be beneficial in the everyday. While it’s become popular, I think I’d still put in the effort to come out on top and make the most of it (even if it requires more education, which I don’t mind at all).

It’s nice to know that there are others out there who are still deciding, while in Uni- it puts in perspective that not everything is set in stone. I’ll definitely need to do more research, though I appreciate the response.
Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by UoG Official Rep
Hi @himik,

It sounds like you've already done a good job of researching each of these options - looking at the career prospects of each is definitely a good idea.

I've spoken to lots of students who have made big changes to their degree choices quite late on in the application process after looking into their options, and they were confident that they had made the right choice. Choosing your course is a big decision, but as long as you're well informed on your options, you should make the right choice!

Can you chat to your teachers or career staff at school to get some more advice? They often have a good insight into various career paths and might be able to help you with your decision.

Keep doing your research, and good luck!

Mara🙂

Hi Mara,
I’ve spoken to some careers staff at my school, and they’ve given me insight into options depending on which degree I go for, especially for postgrad, etc.

Either degree I choose, I know I’ll make the most of it- retaking an A-Level has definitely helped in maturing my mindset a bit. I’ll definitely do more research, and I appreciate the advice, thank you!
Original post by himik
Hi Susannah,
I can relate on the reasons to choosing Psychology- not only is it a subject I enjoyed learning at A-Level, but there’s many skills that would be beneficial in the everyday. While it’s become popular, I think I’d still put in the effort to come out on top and make the most of it (even if it requires more education, which I don’t mind at all).

It’s nice to know that there are others out there who are still deciding, while in Uni- it puts in perspective that not everything is set in stone. I’ll definitely need to do more research, though I appreciate the response.
Thank you!

Hi @himik

I'm glad to hear that I was able to help 🙂

Good luck with retaking your A-level and with university!

Susannah (ARU)
Original post by himik

Hi there,

This is your time to shop around and explore what else is out there. I'd recommend taking the time to visit open days, apply to some apprenticeships and do research into alternate career prospects. You don't need to commit right not, apply to everything you're interested in to keep the doors open and see what happens.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by himik

Hi there,

It's great you are taking the time to consider your options and think about what's out there for you. There are lots of students who have had trouble deciding, changed their choices and may even change their course after already starting university so there are definitely options for you.

It sounds like you're putting in research for your decision which is a good start. Its good to look at what career options are out there which you may find interesting to go into as this will push you in a degree option. However you also have to consider the degree you are going to enjoy. If you only do a degree because its easier to get a job then you may end up not enjoying the course and lose motivation.

Have you looked into the biology based degrees you could go into? There are lots out there from pure biology, bio-medical science etc. You can also look into what A-level requirements would be necessary for these as it may mean you needing to take another subject to meet such.

I understand psychology is becoming more popular and you may feel anxious about the competitiveness but don't let this discourage you. If you really enjoy psychology and can see yourself pursuing it further into career then I would recommend having another look into it. There are also many skills you can pick up from it and use for other career paths - all degrees will be useful in some way even if you decide to go a different route on graduation.

It could be good to talk to a school/college advisor about your thoughts around the subject, they may be able to help steer you towards something.

Good luck with your decision!
-Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending