The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing or Psychology?

I know the basics, Psychology is an oversaturated market, but I can’t help thinking there’s nothing else I want to do at Uni. Except mental health nursing. While I feel MhN is good, I haven’t prepared well enough to write a nice personal statement with experience for it so idk what to do. I want to become a Psychologist so bad and yet the amount of people that have failed in this career or have used their degrees for something else is alarming. I seriously don’t know what to do and it’s weighing me down. Pls help!!!
You could always take a gap year to gain experience to write about in your personal statement for mental health nursing.

But re: psychology. Yes, it's very competitive, but there are things you can do to mitigate it. Having a shining academic record at university is one. Picking up every work opportunity humanly possible during university is also great. If you ingratiate yourself with lecturers at university they'll be very happy to help you and I know a person or two who have managed to participate in some research carried out by their universities by being on friendly terms with lecturers and just asking. All of this helps you stand out in applications. It's also about having a strong mindset and daring the odds and knowing that yes, it's competitive, you might fail a couple of times but if you keep at it you'll probably find a way to succeed. I'm big on chasing dreams so that's what I'd do.
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
You could always take a gap year to gain experience to write about in your personal statement for mental health nursing.

But re: psychology. Yes, it's very competitive, but there are things you can do to mitigate it. Having a shining academic record at university is one. Picking up every work opportunity humanly possible during university is also great. If you ingratiate yourself with lecturers at university they'll be very happy to help you and I know a person or two who have managed to participate in some research carried out by their universities by being on friendly terms with lecturers and just asking. All of this helps you stand out in applications. It's also about having a strong mindset and daring the odds and knowing that yes, it's competitive, you might fail a couple of times but if you keep at it you'll probably find a way to succeed. I'm big on chasing dreams so that's what I'd do.

I can’t tell you how much hope this has given me 😭😭. I can’t take a gap year as I’ve moved countries upwards of 4 times and it has completely messed with my education and resulted in me applying for Uni later than my peers that I did better than in secondary school and all :/. Everyone has been waiting to see me go into some top Uni and I haven’t been able to because of family life and constantly moving. Regardless, I have maintained good grades and can apply now and I don’t want to waste more time. I will definitely do my best to be that person with lecturers as I’m a goody two shoes with my teachers and all and have the best relationships with them and I do want to try my best to reach for that spot but I’ve seen so much discouragement that I’ve kinda shrunk inside a little bit haha. I really want a safe option being an anxious person but there isn’t one so I’m thinking I’m gonna have to dive in like you said and reach for that spot :smile:.
There’s no reason that you can’t take a pg registration course in MH nursing after a psychology degree.

It’s worth doing some thorough research into what a psychology degree involves - it’s a heavily academic course and not a route to a career in counselling. An accredited counselling degree would be worth looking into instead if that’s your interest.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
There’s no reason that you can’t take a pg registration course in MH nursing after a psychology degree.

It’s worth doing some thorough research into what a psychology degree involves - it’s a heavily academic course and not a route to a career in counselling. An accredited counselling degree would be worth looking into instead if that’s your interest.

Yes but I would rather take that pg time smth to boost myself as a Psychologist then but it’s very competitive and unrewarding as a lot of people have mentioned and talked about.

I could be very interested in MHN then so that’s a route worth noting for me to take so thank you for that!

It’s just a kind of up and down thing. Psychology is great for those who are interested like me but the ones who go on to do smth unrelated to Psych & the ones who simply couldn’t get their feet into the programmes to boost them up have mentioned it’s kind of a useless degree after. I’ve done a lot of research and while counselling is great, it’s not what I want to do and would rather do a Psych degree.
Original post by P.r.i.n.z.y
I know the basics, Psychology is an oversaturated market, but I can’t help thinking there’s nothing else I want to do at Uni. Except mental health nursing. While I feel MhN is good, I haven’t prepared well enough to write a nice personal statement with experience for it so idk what to do. I want to become a Psychologist so bad and yet the amount of people that have failed in this career or have used their degrees for something else is alarming. I seriously don’t know what to do and it’s weighing me down. Pls help!!!

Hi! Firstly, if you are unsure of what you want to do at university, there is absolutely no harm in taking a gap year to figure things out (as well as gain valuable work experience)! Psychology is a good degree in that it is flexible with where you can take it. This is a huge advantage as changing your career plans halfway through your degree is unlikely to cause too much issue. If you want to become a psychologist, you can always use a psychology degree as a basis of education and then move onto more specific courses such as DClinPsy or nursing. It is generally best to start broadly and narrow down what you want to do over time.
Courses related to clinical psychology and mental health nursing are likely to require a higher level of previous work experience and/or education, so it is important to fully research these before making an application.
Best of luck!
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate at Lancaster University)
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi! Firstly, if you are unsure of what you want to do at university, there is absolutely no harm in taking a gap year to figure things out (as well as gain valuable work experience)! Psychology is a good degree in that it is flexible with where you can take it. This is a huge advantage as changing your career plans halfway through your degree is unlikely to cause too much issue. If you want to become a psychologist, you can always use a psychology degree as a basis of education and then move onto more specific courses such as DClinPsy or nursing. It is generally best to start broadly and narrow down what you want to do over time.
Courses related to clinical psychology and mental health nursing are likely to require a higher level of previous work experience and/or education, so it is important to fully research these before making an application.
Best of luck!
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate at Lancaster University)

I appreciate this so much!!! The fact that it is a flexible degree gives me a lot of comfort as I’m an anxious person and will likely have to just push the button and go for it.

You’re right in saying I can always narrow it down later and I think I’m going to go for the Psychology degree. Changing degrees midway while not ideal seems to be easier with a Psych course so I’m going for it.

Thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest