The Student Room Group

EPQ ideas/questions for possible Chemical Engineering applicant?

Hey Guyssss,

Sorry, I am having a bit of trouble on what to do my EPQ on. I am planning on applying to Uni to study chemeng this year, and I am a doing an EPQ but I don't know what on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance x
Hi I just did an EPQ and am hoping to study Chemistry at Warwick this year. I would suggest that you start reading around Chemical Engineering as that's how I was able to make my EPQ Chemistry based. If you're reading books for your personal statement at the moment, then I think you could get inspiration from that.
For chemistry I initially read the Elements of Murder by John Emsley and that's what inspired me to do an EPQ on poison. But be mindful that the topic you do it on will definitely expand and will digress - I'd initially wanted to just do poison used as a weapon but then that idea spiralled into poison and its many uses. Another tip: make sure you're genuinely interested in the topic/subject and a word of warning that you'll be reading a LOT

Good Luck!
Reply 2
Original post by unicorn&cheese
Hi I just did an EPQ and am hoping to study Chemistry at Warwick this year. I would suggest that you start reading around Chemical Engineering as that's how I was able to make my EPQ Chemistry based. If you're reading books for your personal statement at the moment, then I think you could get inspiration from that.
For chemistry I initially read the Elements of Murder by John Emsley and that's what inspired me to do an EPQ on poison. But be mindful that the topic you do it on will definitely expand and will digress - I'd initially wanted to just do poison used as a weapon but then that idea spiralled into poison and its many uses. Another tip: make sure you're genuinely interested in the topic/subject and a word of warning that you'll be reading a LOT

Good Luck!

Hey,

First of all thank you for replying it is much appreciated. And wow, chemistry at warwick!!!:smile: That's really superb, very well done! I hope your enjoying the course so far:smile: And, yah, I am reading around Chemeng, just as you have said, but I acc don't know what to do it on. Like, maybe reading around chemeng, I have been doing it the wrong way??? I dunno, well I am mostly reading the articles made by the institute of chemeng, but err the books I am reading really concerns mostly concerns like why do engineering an all sort.... Im really jel, your EPQ ideas would be acc so amazing!!! Posion.. That's sick!!! Could you help?? Like, Idk...

And thanks for the tip and heads up, I am reconsidering my life choices as we speak, ahahah:smile:

Thanks
Original post by mspreseng
Hey,

First of all thank you for replying it is much appreciated. And wow, chemistry at warwick!!!:smile: That's really superb, very well done! I hope your enjoying the course so far:smile: And, yah, I am reading around Chemeng, just as you have said, but I acc don't know what to do it on. Like, maybe reading around chemeng, I have been doing it the wrong way??? I dunno, well I am mostly reading the articles made by the institute of chemeng, but err the books I am reading really concerns mostly concerns like why do engineering an all sort.... Im really jel, your EPQ ideas would be acc so amazing!!! Posion.. That's sick!!! Could you help?? Like, Idk...

And thanks for the tip and heads up, I am reconsidering my life choices as we speak, ahahah:smile:

Thanks

Not yet studying at Warwick but hoping to-fingers crossed. 😬

Hmm well maybe think about why you want to do a chem eng degree; what drew you to it? And I think it would be worthwhile if you literally googled "books to read for chemical engineering" or something else along those lines.
Chemistry and Chem eng are similar but I don't know too much about it yet the first thing I think about for chem Eng is a mad scientist and somehow found this 😂😂😂: https://ichemeblog.org/2015/04/24/ten-times-chemical-engineering-has-changed-science-fiction-into-science-fact-day-332/
Which could help inspire you I reckon.

what other ALevel subjects are you studying because for me I was studying History too (and I actually love History) so then I found that the history of poison interested more so than just poison composition and use etc. and was able to use skills from that History to conduct my research.

I also think nows a good time to think about the product: either an essay or artefact because it would help to make your aim/goal for your project a little more real.

Anyway hope this helps and just keep getting inspired. For me I was rushing my essay the day before it was due and still researching which was terrible but it got me through-although I would say that start your product around Christmas and think of EPQ as a regular hobby rather than a subject because I think you'd enjoy it more. Oh and seriously don't stress it's all cool just hope you get a good supervisor-mine hadnt filled in any of her part since the year before which really annoyed me 😩, but other than a disorganised supervisor you'll be fine just think about the extra time you have for revision after submission next summer 😂😂😂
Reply 4
Original post by unicorn&cheese
Not yet studying at Warwick but hoping to-fingers crossed. 😬

Hmm well maybe think about why you want to do a chem eng degree; what drew you to it? And I think it would be worthwhile if you literally googled "books to read for chemical engineering" or something else along those lines.
Chemistry and Chem eng are similar but I don't know too much about it yet the first thing I think about for chem Eng is a mad scientist and somehow found this 😂😂😂: https://ichemeblog.org/2015/04/24/ten-times-chemical-engineering-has-changed-science-fiction-into-science-fact-day-332/
Which could help inspire you I reckon.

what other ALevel subjects are you studying because for me I was studying History too (and I actually love History) so then I found that the history of poison interested more so than just poison composition and use etc. and was able to use skills from that History to conduct my research.

I also think nows a good time to think about the product: either an essay or artefact because it would help to make your aim/goal for your project a little more real.

Anyway hope this helps and just keep getting inspired. For me I was rushing my essay the day before it was due and still researching which was terrible but it got me through-although I would say that start your product around Christmas and think of EPQ as a regular hobby rather than a subject because I think you'd enjoy it more. Oh and seriously don't stress it's all cool just hope you get a good supervisor-mine hadnt filled in any of her part since the year before which really annoyed me 😩, but other than a disorganised supervisor you'll be fine just think about the extra time you have for revision after submission next summer 😂😂😂

Heya,

Thanks for the reply:wink:

And dnt worry, I think your going to get into Warwick anyways, and when your there you would have a jolly good time, ehh:wink: And yhh, I typed into google books for chemical engineering and it came out with thermodynamics and all of that. So I will start reading around that, but I am still not sure because you know the laws have already been set out as a foundation. How would you make it into a question where you could possible research it into, you know what I mean???:redface:

Your so lucky, using history in your EPQ. That's really smart and inspiring. I am currently taking, for AS: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Dt..... I think there will be lots of elements of maths, and physics in the EPQ, but I don't have the slightest idea. BTW, thanks for the website link, I have read it and its really inspiring and also an eye opener also!! I know it has to be defo an essay, we aren't really given a choice.

I am also sorry about your referee. I know how it feels to have a rubbish ones:smile:
Reply 5
hey im wanting to do chemeng but i am doing my epq on the history of the english monarchs and how they changed england. is that ok or should i change it. but for me now its near the time where i have to finish and confirm my working title

Quick Reply

Latest