The Student Room Group

S1 - Expectation!

From Heinemann S1 8B Q10:

"At a fair a roll-a-penny stall can be played with 1p or 2p coins. If the coin lands inside a square, the player receives the coin plus 2 other coins of the same value, otherwise the coin is lost. The probability of winning the coin with 1p is 1940\frac{19}{40} and the probability for a 2p coin is 1140\frac{11}{40} ."

a) Find the expected winnings for
each coin.

Presumably this means find E(something) although I have no idea about how to do this. I've tried to draw a probability distribution but I failed.

Can someone please help?
Reply 1
from what i remember expection is the mean outcome? anyone back me up on this i haven't done stats for a while

consider it like this, in 40 throws how many times would you expect to lose your 1p?

21, thats -21p

in 40 throws how many times would you expect to win 2p? 19, thats + 38p

so expectation is (38-21)/40

in other words, do expected outcome x probabilty, sum these all up for the expectation and you get your answer =]
Expectation is just how much you can expect to win. So for example, in the National Lottery, you pay a pound for a ticket, half of that goes to the prize fund, so the expectation is 50p.

So here, you've got a chance of winning 3p 1940\frac {19}{40} of the time and a chance of winning 0p 401940\frac {40 - 19}{40} of the time. Does this help?
Reply 3
Expectation is the (prob of winning)*(what you win), summed for all possibilities.
Chaoslord
from what i remember expection is the mean outcome? anyone back me up on this i haven't done stats for a while

consider it like this, in 40 throws how many times would you expect to lose your 1p?

21, thats -21p

in 40 throws how many times would you expect to win 2p? 19, thats + 38p

so expectation is (38-21)/40

in other words, do expected outcome x probabilty, sum these all up for the expectation and you get your answer =]

Thank you. That's what I was looked for :smile:

Latest