The Student Room Group

Sunbeds

Who on TSR goes to the sunbeds or uses a sunbed? How often do you go, how long do you go in for?

Scroll to see replies

Every day, 7 hours, I look like David Dickinson. :aetsch:
Reply 2
need_money
Who on TSR goes to the sunbeds or uses a sunbed? How often do you go, how long do you go in for?

I have done in the past but never again after getting fried alive! I must have went on for too long and had all my skin peeling off euwww! Couldn't sleep for days cos I was so sore!
Reply 3
NikNak
I have done in the past but never again after getting fried alive! I must have went on for too long and had all my skin peeling off euwww! Couldn't sleep for days cos I was so sore!

Awwww, there's a girl in my class and she goes every 2 days and she goes in for like 15 minutes at a time. She has a cracking tan but her back is totally burnt raw.
Reply 4
need_money
Awwww, there's a girl in my class and she goes every 2 days and she goes in for like 15 minutes at a time. She has a cracking tan but her back is totally burnt raw.

Yeah I think if you go you should not go anymore than once or twice a week....it will take a bit longer to build up a tan but it is safer. You can also get creams to put on before you go on the sunbed that makes you skin tan quicker.

If you go to a proper sunbed shop they will make you fill out a questionnaire which will determine your skin type. They should then advise you how many minutes to go on for at a time. You usually start off around 6 minutes for a couple sessions and then increase it by about 2 minutes each time until you get to around 10-12 minutes.

The reason I got so burnt was because I always used to go on for 8 mins at a time.....then one day I went to a different shop and went on for 8 mins again without realising their machine was a lot more powerful! lol!
Reply 5
NikNak
Yeah I think if you go you should not go anymore than once or twice a week....it will take a bit longer to build up a tan but it is safer. You can also get creams to put on before you go on the sunbed that makes you skin tan quicker.

If you go to a proper sunbed shop they will make you fill out a questionnaire which will determine your skin type. They should then advise you how many minutes to go on for at a time. You usually start off around 6 minutes for a couple sessions and then increase it by about 2 minutes each time until you get to around 10-12 minutes.

The reason I got so burnt was because I always used to go on for 8 mins at a time.....then one day I went to a different shop and went on for 8 mins again without realising their machine was a lot more powerful! lol!

Lol, i haven't been in AGES but i'm going to start going again. I go in for 5 minutes at a time but now the place i go to are doing 10 minutes for the price of 5 minutes and its £2 for 5 minutes. So i'll definitely be going for that. :biggrin:
Reply 6
do you think fashion will ever change so that people prefer whiter skin?

i've got pretty fair skin and know that i risk getting skin cancer if i go under sunbeds or stay out in the sun too long. its sooooo frustrating
Reply 7

I've always wondered what going under a sunbed would do to me, and whether i would be able to see a difference :p:
Reply 8
I wouldnt touch a sunbed with a ten foot pole. It seems like a waste of time to me
Reply 9
I would never ever go on a sunbed! (I thought you had to be 16 to use sunbeds in tan places?)
Reply 10
blissy
I would never ever go on a sunbed! (I thought you had to be 16 to use sunbeds in tan places?)

You do. They think i'm 16. :smile:
I would never go on a sunbed. EVER.

I shall just wait for the day when being pale becomes interesting
Reply 12
need_money
Lol, i haven't been in AGES but i'm going to start going again. I go in for 5 minutes at a time but now the place i go to are doing 10 minutes for the price of 5 minutes and its £2 for 5 minutes. So i'll definitely be going for that. :biggrin:

Yes, the burnt to a crisp look is very in right now.

I'm too pale to use a sunbed, I'd burn in about 2 minutes, and even when I do tan a teeny tiny bit, i just look dirty, like I haven't washed in a few days! I'll stay this colour and if people don't like it, it's not my problem :p: I'm never in fashion anyway :rolleyes:
Reply 13
nope...we're as far north as some places in the canadian arctic...we shouldnt have tans let alone fake ones. just looks silly
Reply 14
i never got the appeal of sunbeds... as most excersice i do, i do it cause its fun and the fitness is just an added bonus.
technik
nope...we're as far north as some places in the canadian arctic...we shouldnt have tans let alone fake ones. just looks silly

What'd you get warned for lol? :biggrin:
Reply 16
englishstudent
What'd you get warned for lol? :biggrin:

the truth :smile:

it was worth it
Reply 17
Sunbeds are fantastic! A lot of us in the UK have Roman colouring (or at least some of it splashed into the mixture) so tanned skin DOESN@T look silly on some people!

Recently I've been going every 3 weeks or so for 12 minutes but the machine is really powerful and I tan very quickly anyway, you can't say white skin or tanned skin looks good on everyone, it just depends on the person, and personally I think I look awful with pale skin so the answer in February is sun beds! Global Warming - what a joke! It's ****ing freezing and grey!
Boo! Tans! Boo! I don't like them. I'm sorry, but tans just don't suit white british people. ESPECIALLY not fake ones.

How ironic that my skin tans very well. I'll take a tan in 15 minutes of decent sun in the summer, have never used sun lotion, and have no idea what sunburn feels like. My dad and sister on the other hand sizzle like bacon on a hot day, heheheh.
Reply 19
Toy Soldier
Boo! Tans! Boo! I don't like them. I'm sorry, but tans just don't suit white british people. ESPECIALLY not fake ones.

How ironic that my skin tans very well. I'll take a tan in 15 minutes of decent sun in the summer, have never used sun lotion, and have no idea what sunburn feels like. My dad and sister on the other hand sizzle like bacon on a hot day, heheheh.

same here...i went a week in turkey at 40C without burning...then the magnification in the swimming pool fried my shoulders lol :biggrin:

fake orange crappy tans suck

Latest